Debra Villarreal is an experienced oil and gas attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Ms. Villarreal counsels her clients to maximize gains while minimizing risks in joint ventures and the purchase and sale of oil and gas properties. She has closed acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures for domestic and international exploration and production companies in the major shale plays throughout the United States.
In addition, Ms. Villarreal has represented companies in the acquisition of interests in federal leases offshore the Gulf of Mexico, including negotiating unit participation and offshore operating agreements.
Ms. Villarreal's experience extends to all facets of the energy industry, including joint operating agreements, leases, drilling rig contracts, exploration agreements, participation agreements, farmouts, title review and due diligence. With her strong financial background, she has represented numerous borrowers and lenders in financings secured by oil and gas assets, including plants, pipelines, undeveloped acreage and producing properties.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of producing properties in multiple states for $150 million
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of producing properties in New Mexico and Texas for $64.5 million
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of working interest in Oklahoma Mississippi Lime properties for $1.02 billion and related joint development agreement
- Represented seller in sale of Texas properties for $53 million
- Represented participant in joint development agreement in the Utica Shale
- Represented purchasers in acquisition of offshore Gulf of Mexico properties for $1.1 billion
- Represented seller in divestiture of producing properties in Oklahoma and Texas for $780 million
- Represented seller in divestiture of undeveloped acreage in Eagle Ford for $168.5 million
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of exploration and development company with properties in Texas for $800 million
- Represented sellers of four producing wells and undeveloped acreage in Eagle Ford for $45.3 million
- Represented sellers of overriding royalties in Eagle Ford for $53.2 million
- Represented seller in divestiture of producing properties in Texas for $30 million
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of undeveloped acreage in Marcellus for $144.8 million
- Represented seller in divestiture of interest in producing properties and undeveloped acreage in Marcellus for $162.4 million and a carry for $30 million
- Represented participant in exploration and development agreement in Marcellus
- Represented purchaser in divestiture of properties in Texas for $21.5 million
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of properties in Texas for $76 million
- Represented seller in divestiture of properties in New Mexico for $8.5 million
- Represented company in negotiation of drilling rig contract for operations in the Mediterranean
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D.
- Washburn University, B.B.A.
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Women's Energy Network (WEN) North Texas Chapter, National Sponsorship Director, 2018; Board Member and Past President, 2013
- Bryan's House, Board of Directors
- Dallas Bar Association, Past Chair of Energy Section
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Energy Law, Oil and Gas Law, 2010-2022
- The Legal 500 USA, Energy Transactions, Energy Litigation – Oil & Gas, 2019-2021
- Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2018-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Dallas Oil & Gas Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2014, 2017
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, Energy & Natural Resources, 2014, 2016-2022
- Dallas Business Journal, Who's Who in Energy, 2014