Jeffrey Wool is a partner and Holland & Knight's Director of International Law and Policy. He is based in the firm's Miami office. Mr. Wool has extensive experience in international business and financial transactions, public and private international law, and aviation law and policy.
Mr. Wool serves as the secretary general of the Aviation Working Group (AWG), a not-for-profit international industry group that works on the development of policies, regulations and rules designed to facilitate advanced international aviation financing and leasing. Since its inception in 1994, he has coordinated AWG's policy development and government consultations on a wide range of commercial and international law and regulatory issues. He continues in this role for AWG on secondment from the firm, which serves as AWG's international counsel.
On behalf of AWG, Mr. Wool has had a lead role in the development, negotiation and national ratification and implementation of the Cape Town Convention (CTC), and he chaired the group that prepared the initial draft of the Aircraft Protocol. He currently leads global projects relating to the interpretation of, and compliance with, the CTC. In addition, Mr. Wool coordinates the formulation of AWG's principles relating to airline restructurings in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. He leads AWG's projects relating to the assessment of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors geared to the context of aviation financing and leasing, He also is responsible for directing the development of the global aircraft trading system (GATS).
In addition, Mr. Wool is a senior research fellow at Oxford University's Harris Manchester College and an affiliate member of the law faculty at the University of Oxford. He has previously been professor of global business law at the University of Washington and founding co-director of its global business law institute, teaching courses of transnational commercial law, comparative commercial law and international business compliance. He also developed Holland & Knight's three-part seminar on green financing series (reporting, regulation, and social aspects) held in association with the University of Miami School of Law.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Wool practiced law at an international business law firm in its New York City office. He also served as the head of aerospace law and policy for a multinational law firm in its London office. Prior to that, he was a partner at an international law firm in Washington, D.C., with secondments in Paris and Tokyo.
- Study group member for project on digital assets and private law with the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT), 2020–Present
- Co-director for project on international commercial law reform with the University of Cambridge Faculty of Law (formerly University of Oxford Faculty of Law) and UNIDROIT, 2010–Present
- Co-director for project on best practices for the design and operation of electronic registries with University of Cambridge Faculty of Law (formerly University of Oxford Faculty of Law) and UNIDROIT, 2010–Present
- Columbia Law School, J.D.
- Florida State University, B.A.
- University of Washington School of Law, Global Business Law Institute, Industry Advisory Board, 2021
- International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT), Senior Advisor, 2019-Present
- International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT) Foundation, President, 2013-Present
- Cape Town Convention (CTC) International Registry, International Advisory Board Chair, 2003-Present
- Cape Town Convention Academic Project (CTCAP), Executive Director, 2011-Present