Holland & Knight Named "Energy Practice Group of the Year" by Law360
MIAMI (January 25, 2022) – Holland & Knight has been named a Law360 2021 "Energy Practice Group of the Year," capping off a landmark year that saw the firm's energy practice become a nationwide powerhouse following its merger with Thompson & Knight in August.
Law360's Practice Groups of the Year series annually honors the law firms "behind litigation wins and major deals that resonated throughout the legal industry," with "an eye towards landmark matters and general excellence."
In its profile article, Law360 lauded Holland & Knight for shepherding "a wide variety of notable matters both before and after the firm merger."
"Our merger combined Holland & Knight's longstanding reputation as a destination practice advising leading renewable energy companies – particularly in the wind and solar sectors – with Thompson & Knight's historical strength in advising oil and gas and energy infrastructure clients," said Juan Alcalá, co-chair of Holland & Knight's Energy and Natural Resources Industry Sector Group. "As a result, we are one of the few firms that can offer end-to-end capabilities across the energy spectrum, and this recognition by Law360 is proof positive that we are delivering excellent service to clients on their most complex challenges."
The firm was recognized by Law360 for successfully acting on a number of high-profile matters, including advising:
- Exelon Generation in connection with the sale of its solar business across nearly 600 sites in the U.S., to Brookfield Renewable Partners LP and its institutional partners.
- Orsted North America, the world's largest offshore wind developer, in the development of seven proposed offshore wind projects in the United States.
- Neste OYJ, the world's leading provider of renewable diesel and sustainable aviation fuel with a focus on delivering drop-in renewable and circular chemical solutions, in its acquisition of a minority stake in Alterra Energy, a privately held chemical recycling technology company, and related joint ventures for the commercialization of Alterra's technology.
- Surge Energy (through its affiliate, Moss Creek Resources, LLC) in the $420 million acquisition of producing properties in Howard County, Texas (approximately 18,500 net mineral acres) from Grenadier Energy Partners II, LLC.
- IPR Energy Group, which entered into agreements to acquire key oil and gas exploration and production concessions in Egypt by way of farm-out agreements.
"As we continue building on the momentum of our merger, we are poised to become an even more formidable player in the energy industry across the globe," said Tim Moran, co-chair of the firm's Energy and Natural Resources Industry Sector Group. "With industry sector diversification second to none, this recognition only reinforces our reputation as a go-to firm for the world's leading energy companies."
Holland & Knight's Energy and Natural Resources Industry Sector Group consists of more than 225 experienced attorneys and professionals who work on all facets of transactional, regulatory, legislative and litigation matters related to environmental, energy and natural resources. The firm has represented clients in over 80 countries that span the energy and natural resources value chain, including oil and gas majors and private companies, electric and gas utilities and electric cooperatives, power authorities, wholesale power generators, transmission owners and operators, offshore wind developers, renewable energy and energy storage developers and financiers, merchant transmission, retail suppliers, energy portfolio companies, marine and pipeline transporters, mining companies, and energy traders.