Jack Doherty is a litigator and real estate attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office. Mr. Doherty's practice focuses on high-stakes complex commercial litigation. He also represents institutional lenders, including national banks, special services and investment banks, in creditors' rights litigation, insolvency, loan restructurings and workouts in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Mr. Doherty has extensive experience in the representation of financial institutions and special servicers in connection with distressed real estate loans and the disposition of commercial properties. This includes creditor representation related to non-performing commercial loans and mezzanine loans involving the exercise of remedies, such as receiverships, replevin, judicial and non-judicial foreclosures, workouts, litigation, contested bankruptcy matters and Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) sales. Mr. Doherty has protected lenders' interests in loans collateralized by hotels, retail, office, industrial, multifamily, healthcare properties, ground leases and pledged interests in personality.
Mr. Doherty also has represented corporate and individual parties across multiple industries in commercial litigations involving breach of contract, fiduciary duty, implied duty of good faith, fraud, misrepresentation, partnership-joint venture disputes, misappropriation of intellectual property and shareholder disputes. He is experienced in all phases of litigation at both the trial and appellate levels.
- Defended corporation against breach of contract and misrepresentations claims in connection with contract to provide its dynamic software as a service in the Southern District of New York
- Defended individual corporate officer in complex commercial litigation arising from a joint venture and shareholder dispute in New York Supreme Court
- Defended individual corporate officer in breach of contract action in connection with the sale of goods and services across multiple state lines
- Obtained dismissal of tort and contract claims against individual and corporate defendants in federal and state court actions
- Obtained a temporary restraining order from the Supreme Court of the State of New York in connection with the representation of the plaintiff in a partnership dispute
- Represented commercial developer in connection with contract and property rights disputes in New York City
- Represented real estate mortgage investment conduit (REMIC) trusts, through special servicers, in commercial real estate foreclosure proceedings in New York and New Jersey
- Helped resolve an institutional lender's claims against a borrower for breach of contract, conversion and fraudulent conveyance in action before the Southern District of New York
- Obtained appointment of receivers of all types of commercial properties, including hotels, office buildings and shopping centers in New York and New Jersey state and federal courts
- Represented a holder of dual collateral loan secured by commercial real estate in New York in UCC foreclosure sale of membership interests in borrower entity
- Represented commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) special servicers in connection with workouts, including modifications, loan sales, loan payoffs and sales of real estate owned (REO) properties
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
- One to Watch, The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, 2021- 2022
- Rising Star, New York Metro Super Lawyers magazine, Business Litigation, 2019-2021