Joe Franco is a Portland trial attorney who is well-versed in all stages of litigation. Mr. Franco is experienced in managing complicated discovery, taking and defending key depositions, arguing dispositive motions, as well as being the lead lawyer in trials, arbitrations and mediations.
Mr. Franco has significant experience with cases involving breach of contract, allegations of fraud, legal malpractice, insurance coverage, unlawful trade practices, breach of fiduciary duty and the protection of trade secrets. Mr. Franco also has experience litigating mass actions, and he currently represents a pharmaceutical company in federal and state court litigation across the country – including in the multidistrict litigation (MDL) captioned In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation.
Mr. Franco's recent engagements include:
- obtained a seven-figure plaintiff's jury verdict on claims for breach of an oral distribution contract, breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing and intentional interference with economic relations
- defended sellers of a natural foods company against claims of fraud and breach of contract; obtained a take-nothing award from the jury after a two-week trial
- defended a real estate investment firm against more than 40 investors in a four-week arbitration alleging rescission, fraudulent concealment, breach of fiduciary duty and negligence arising from alleged real estate investment losses of more than $20 million; the arbitration panel dismissed all of the plaintiffs' claims at the close of their case-in-chief
- represented a national fitness company in a dispute against a commercial landlord; prevailed at trial and was awarded damages for breach of contract, injunctive relief and attorney fees
- obtained a successful resolution of a multimillion-dollar international dispute over a medical device distribution contract
- defended a client against claims of, and prosecuting counterclaims for, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty in dispute over the term of existence of an Oregon limited liability company; won partial summary judgment recognizing the client's right to dissolve the LLC, which led to an advantageous settlement
- represented a pharmacy against a former employee in a lawsuit alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference with business relations; the case was successfully settled prior to trial
- defended claims for breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, unjust enrichment, interference with business relationships, federal racketeering, Oregon state racketeering and violation of Oregon securities laws; case settled in favor of the client
Before attending law school, Mr. Franco investigated abuse and neglect of vulnerable adults at long-term care facilities for the State of Oregon.