Stu Glick is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office. Mr. Glick focuses his practice on complex commercial, banking, finance, the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), business tort, real estate and bankruptcy litigation.
Mr. Glick's clients include lending consortiums, institutional lenders, financial institutions, hedge funds, commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) special servicers, private equity funds, investment firms, insurance companies, real estate developers, retail establishments and shopping center developers. He has significant experience representing lenders in complex asset recovery proceedings involving participated or syndicated loans and lender liability claims. He also has experience with debt restructurings and loan portfolio sales and purchases.
Mr. Glick views litigation as but one tool to be used to resolve disputes, with it being a means to an end and not an end in and of itself. Consequently, he counsels clients to have a clear objective before commencing any litigation, develops a litigation strategy designed to achieve the desired objective and proactively modifies that strategy as a case develops, while keeping clients informed and involved at all times.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Glick is frequently invited to speak on commercial, bankruptcy and real estate litigation issues.
Mr. Glick began his career as a trial attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) through the Attorney General's Honors Program, where he was lead counsel in jury and non-jury cases in federal and state courts nationwide. Those cases involved complex tax, commercial, bankruptcy and constitutional law issues, in addition to significant claims of first impression, including a $500 million excise tax claim in a major domestic steel corporation bankruptcy.
- Representation of an institutional lender in an action to recover on a promised nets profit interest in thousands of oil and gas wells
- Representation of lead lenders in foreclosure actions involving multimillion-dollar syndicated loans
- Representation of a secured creditor in connection with a suit involving multimillion-dollar fraud, conversion and lender liability claims
- Representation of an insurance holding company in an insurance insolvency proceeding involving a multimillion-dollar claim
- Representation of the former shareholders of the nation's second largest uncooked pasta manufacturing company in connection with a variety of tort and contract claims by the company's purchaser
- Representation of national banks in numerous foreclosure and Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) enforcement actions involving the appointment of rent receivers and fiscal agents, including those empowered to sell the mortgaged property pendente lite
- Representation of lender in connection with 16 Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases administratively consolidated in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, in the complex restructuring of more than $3 billion in debt
- Representation of a lead lender of a $100 million syndicated loan in a real estate developer's bankruptcy
- Representation of a lead lender of a multimillion-dollar participated loan in the bankruptcy of one of the nation's largest developers of retirement communities
- Representation of the primary lender in the bankruptcy of one of the nation's largest paper supply companies
- Representation of a Chapter 11 trustee in dozens of fraudulent transfer actions arising from massive securities-based Ponzi scheme
- Representation of a national bank in connection with a suit involving an alleged fraudulent transfer involving several million dollars
- Representation of a national office supply company in a suit brought by a competitor-debtor for corporate raiding and related claims involving hundreds of employees and millions of dollars
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, B.S.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Co-Chair, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Litigation Committee, 2003-2006; Co-Editor, Business Torts Journal, Member, Business Torts Litigation Committee, 2006- 2009; Co-Chair, Programs Sub-Committee, Trial Practice Committee, 2007-2010
- American Bar Association, Judicial Division, Advisory Council, 2006 Bench/Bar Bankruptcy Conference
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2016-2022
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2016-2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating