Elliot Magruder is a New York litigation attorney and a member of Holland & Knight's Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. Mr. Magruder practices in federal and state courts, including bankruptcy courts, and focuses on cross-border litigation, including judgment enforcement, insolvency, asset recovery, foreign discovery and Chapter 15 petitions. Mr. Magruder represents judgment creditors in enforcement cases pending throughout the world, including in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and represents international clients in support of discovery applications for use in foreign proceedings. He also serves as counsel for liquidators and other representatives appointed in foreign insolvency proceedings.
Mr. Magruder's representative matters include:
- counsel to the liquidators of a collapsed New York-based hedge fund formerly with assets under management in excess of $1 billion and subsidiaries in multiple litigations, including successfully opposing two rounds of motions to dismiss, and defeating opposition to discovery in Chapter 15 proceeding
- counsel to the Middle Eastern affiliate of a medical technology company in connection with the multijurisdictional enforcement of a $60 million arbitral award and certain guarantees, and prevailing in two federal court appeals
- United States counsel to United Kingdom-based litigation funder in judgment enforcement and conspiracy actions pending in multiple offshore jurisdictions
- counsel to a fund and individual in connection with a highly contested 28 U.S.C. § 1782 discovery application in support of Luxembourg criminal proceedings and obtained favorable federal appeals court decisions in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and Eleventh Circuit
- counsel to a foreign bank in recognition and enforcement of $75 million in Russian judgments and associated investigations, including defeating multiple appeals to lower court enforcement orders
- counsel in successful Chapter 15 recognition petitions filed in support of proceedings in, among other jurisdictions, the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Brazil and the first known successful petition submitted by a Norwegian foreign representative
- counsel to a Hong Kong-based investment fund in enforcing a judgment and securing an attachment over intangible property valued at more than $25 million
- pro bono counsel to an investor in fraudulent oil and gas scheme and defeating summary judgment motion
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Magruder worked in the sports industry, including positions at ESPN and on both the management and labor sides of multiple professional sports organizations.