Jerry Metcalf focuses his practice on the representation of lenders, borrowers, and privately held companies in a wide variety of both domestic and international transactions. He regularly advises financial institutions and borrowers on structuring and documenting senior and subordinated debt financings secured by or involving accounts, inventory, equipment, real estate, marine vessels, and aircraft. Mr. Metcalf also frequently represents companies in structuring and implementing purchase and sale transactions involving equity interests and assets.
On the international side, his experience encompasses counseling companies as well as individual investors on both inbound and outbound transactions and investments. He has advised clients on cross-border sale and acquisitions, projects and export finance transactions involving Latin America, the European Union, Australia, and New Zealand. Mr. Metcalf is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Represented Korea National Oil Corporation and Ecopetrol SA in their acquisition of Petro-Tech Peruana SA, the largest operator of Peruvian offshore oil and gas properties, a $900 million transaction
- Served as counsel in the $850 million sale of the Colombian subsidiary, Omimex de Colombia, Ltd., of Omimex Resources, a Ft. Worth-based oil and gas company, to a joint venture of ONGC and Sinopec
- Represented a Wall Street private equity fund in acquiring a $500 million mezzanine energy loan portfolio from a Midwest utility company
- Represented two hedge funds in connection with their $80 million equity investment in and subordinated debt financing for the controlling stake of a shallow water Gulf of Mexico oil and gas operator
- Represented a Texas-based manufacturing group in their acquisition of the assets of manufacturers of oil field service equipment operating in Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio and as borrower's counsel for their senior secured revolving credit facility
- Represented a privately owned partnership in connection with the $58 million sale of water related assets to the City of Hutto, Texas
- Represented a private equity sponsored agri-business in the sale of approximately 7,400 acres of irrigated farmland in western Arizona and associated water rights in Arizona and New Mexico
- Represented the agent bank and arranger extending a $91 million syndicated credit facility secured by a fleet mortgage on marine vessels
- Represented the agent bank arranging revolving, construction, and term credit facilities aggregating over $90 million for the acquisition and/or construction of 24 vessels covered under a first preferred fleet mortgage
- Represented a private equity group in connection with providing debt and equity financing for start-up enterprises as well as mature companies
- Implemented and executed a cross-border acquisition and development strategy for a U.S.-based company seeking to establish operations in nine countries in the European Union
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D.
- Texas Christian University, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- American Bar Association; Business Law Section; Real Property, Probate, and Trust Law Section; International Law Section
- State Bar of Texas; Real Property, Probate, and Trust Law Section; International Law Section
- Houston Bar Association; Real Estate Section; International Law Section
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Interlaw, Ltd., Board of Directors, 1989-2000; Chairman, 1993-1997; Vice Chairman, 1991-1993
- Houston Grand Opera, Board of Trustees, 2004-Present
- Kiwanis Foundation of Houston, President, 2018-Present
- Kiwanis Club of Houston, President, 1996-1997
- Greater Houston Partnership, World Trade Division
- St. Luke's United Methodist Church, Administrative Board, 1986-1993
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2010-2022
- Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters (Real Estate, Mergers & Acquisitions), 2004, 2012-2020