Ed Perlmutter is a government relations attorney and general practitioner in Holland & Knight's Denver and Washington, D.C., offices and a member of the Public Policy & Regulation Group.
Mr. Perlmutter is a former member of the U.S. House of Representatives, having served eight terms representing the Seventh Congressional District of Colorado. Before serving in the U.S. House, Mr. Perlmutter served in the Colorado State Senate for two terms, including two years as president pro tempore. There, he earned a reputation as a bipartisan bridge-builder and a champion of renewable energy and smart growth policies. Over the course of his political career, Mr. Perlmutter has developed many relationships at the federal, state and local levels across a broad range of subjects.
Prior to his political experience, Mr. Perlmutter was with a Denver-based law firm for more than 20 years, where he practiced business law with an emphasis in commercial litigation and Chapter 11 bankruptcies.
Mr. Perlmutter's areas of focus assisting clients include:
Financial Services. Mr. Perlmutter served on the House Committee on Financial Services for eight terms, including as chair of the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Financial Institutions during the most recent session. He has a wealth of knowledge within the financial services industry regarding financial markets, rules and regulations. In the financial services space, Mr. Perlmutter advises on consumer credit, financial crimes enforcement, banking, housing and insurance matters for clients. He helped draft provisions of Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and most recently spearheaded legislation as diverse as the Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing Equity Act, Financial Crimes Enforcement Network Improvement Act and Credit Union Governance Modernization Act.
Science, Aerospace and National Labs. Mr. Perlmutter also served on the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, where he was a member of the Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics as well as the Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight. He sponsored legislation regarding the Promoting Research and Observations of Space Weather to Improve the Forecasting of Tomorrow Act (PROSWIFT Act), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Science Center authorization and appropriation, the Nuclear Workers' Ombudsman Extension Act, the Helicopter Fuel System Safety Act, U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Laboratory Modernization and Technology Transfer Act, and language requiring a NASA report on getting astronauts to Mars by 2033. He assists large and small aerospace companies and provides guidance on appropriations, lab contracts and NASA issues.
Cannabis Reform and Regulation. Having led the effort to pass the Secure and Fair Enforcement Act (SAFE Banking Act), Mr. Perlmutter provides counsel to cannabis companies, ancillary service providers and vendors, banks, credit unions, insurance companies, state and county treasurers and investment banks.
Energy-Related Matters. Mr. Perlmutter offers guidance to oil and gas, mining, academia and renewable and sustainable energy companies, including solar, wind, biomass and geothermal. He has broad knowledge and experience to assist clients with renewables, permitting, takings, carbon capture and sequestration, energy hubs and decommissioning of utilities.
Procedural Matters. In addition to the above-mentioned House committees, Mr. Perlmutter served as a member of the House Committee on Rules, where he became well versed with the procedural intricacies of the House and was vice chair of the Subcommittee on Rules and Organization of the House. He also served on the Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress, where he sponsored numerous recommendations to improve the operations and effectiveness of the House, and the Committee on Homeland Security, where he served on the Intelligence and Counterterrorism Subcommittee.
As part of his responsibilities in Congress and the Colorado State Senate, Mr. Perlmutter gave numerous speeches and made media appearances across a wide array of subjects, including those listed above.
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D.
- University of Colorado, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- All Federal Courts in Colorado
- All State Courts in Colorado
- Public and Community Service Award, Colorado Governor's Citizenship Medals, 2022
- Congressional Award for Atomic Heroes, Nuclear Care Partners, 2021
- Retiree Hero, Alliance for Retired Americans, 2017, 2018, 2021
- Outstanding Legislative Support, Colorado Chapter of the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America, 2019
- Legislator of the Year Award, Disabled American Veterans, 2018
- Legislative Champion Award, Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer, 2017
- Lion Advocacy Award, Colorado Education Association, 2017
- Legislator of the Year Award, South West Transit Association (SWTA), 2016, 2017
- Elected Official of the Year, Jefferson County Economic Development Corporation, 2016
- Distinguished Community Health Advocate, National Association of Community Health Centers, 2014, 2016, 2017
- Certificate of Appreciation, Women Veterans of Colorado, 2014
- Legislator of the Year Award, Colorado National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO), 2014
- Protecting the American Dream Award, American Land Title Association (ALTA), 2013
- Defender of Homeownership Legislator of the Year, ALTA, 2013
- Champion Award, University of Colorado, 2013
- Retiree Hero, Colorado Alliance for Retired Americans, 2012
- Paul E. Tsongas Economic Patriot Award, The Concord Coalition, 2012
- Legislative Award, National Association of Human Rights Workers, 2011
- Distinguished Alumnus, Jefferson County Public Schools, 2011
- Friend of the National Parks, National Parks Conservation Association, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Ray of Hope Award, Shade Foundation of America, 2010
- Legislator of the Year Award, American Planning Association, 2010
- Tony Coelho Impact Award, Epilepsy Foundation, 2010
- Legislator of the Year Award, Mountain States Chapter of the Paralyzed Veterans of the United States, 2009, 2010, 2016, 2018
- A-List Leadership Award, Aurora Economic Development Council, 2009
- LEED for Existing Buildings Silver Award, U.S. Green Building Council, 2009
- Congressional Leadership Award, Epilepsy Foundation, 2009
- Man of the Year Award, Aurora Chapter of the Chamber, 2008
- Silver Mouse Award, Congressional Management Foundation, 2007, 2011, 2014
- Distinguished Federal Legislator Award, United Veterans Committee, 2002, 2012, 2016, 2017
- Alumni Award, University of Colorado School of Law, 2003
- Presidential Award, Colorado American Planning Association, 2001
- Outstanding Legislative Service on the Sweepstakes Issue, American Association of Retired Persons, 2000