Eric Ray is a bankruptcy attorney in Holland & Knight's Birmingham office. He represents financial institutions, lenders, utilities and other creditors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, adversary proceedings and other types of commercial litigation. His experience includes all facets of creditor representation, including preference and fraudulent transfer litigation, executory contract issues, asset sales and purchases, and bankruptcy appellate proceedings.
Mr. Ray also counsels and advises utilities and businesses on issues involving the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) including analyzing and creating TCPA compliance programs. His regulatory work extends to issues involving the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, and he routinely counsels utility clients in the development and implementation of client-specific bankruptcy, regulatory, and collection-related policies and procedures.
- Represented a franchisee with 30 quick service restaurants (QSRs) in Alabama and Tennessee, as the debtor in Chapter 11 proceedings involving a 363 sale via a stalking horse bidding process
- Served as counsel to bondholders representative facilitating deed in lieu agreement on a $7 million bond issue secured by a senior living facility in Anniston, Alabama
- Served as counsel to bondholders representative in litigation against the principals of an assisted living facility in Sarasota, Florida, with a defaulted $38 million bond indenture
- Served as counsel to bondholders representative facilitating the appointment of a federal receiver to finish construction of $42 million defaulted bond issue for a Florida senior assisted living facility
- Represented a large, multistate bank as Bond Trustee holding a security interest on all of the assets of a bankrupt biomass manufacturer and facilitated the bank's sale of those assets
- Served as lead bankruptcy counsel to a large Alabama-based mining company and five of its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases and in negotiating a plan of reorganization
- Represented a research foundation in the negotiations and assignment of the license as part of the receivership assumption and assignment of executory contract
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Auburn University, B.S.
- Alabama State Bar
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Utility Bankruptcy Conference, Executive Committee Member
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Alabama), 2019-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2010-2024; Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2010-2024