Kathleen St. John is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Boston office. Ms. St. John is a member of the firm's Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors' Rights Practice Group. She represents corporate debtors, financial institutions, and other secured and unsecured creditors, as well as court-appointed trustees, receivers and liquidators in complex corporate restructurings and liquidations in Chapter 11 and Chapter 15 cases. She is dedicated to helping clients achieve favorable results under federal bankruptcy law, as well as state law remedies in the event of insolvency.
Ms. St. John's current and recent matters include:
- representation of a Texas energy provider faced with potentially significant liability in pending multidistrict litigation arising out of 2021's Winter Storm Uri, from pre-bankruptcy strategy through the start of a Chapter 11 case, marketing and sale of the debtor's assets through a competitive 363 sale process resulting in a market high, per megawatt sale price providing a 100 percent dividend to non-insider creditors through a fully consensual Chapter 11 plan
- counsel to various financial institutions regarding risk assessment and impact of insolvency of contractual counterparties with respect to several financial instruments, including repurchase agreements, swap agreements and securities lending agreements
- representation of syndicated lenders under a $1 billion credit facility throughout the borrower's Chapter 11 reorganization
- representation of foreign liquidators in connection with a landmark settlement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in enforcement action and obtained recognition of foreign liquidation in parallel Chapter 15 proceeding
- representation of a senior secured lender in the Chapter 11 proceeding of a Las Vegas hotel development project
- representation of a foreign liquidator in domestic Chapter 15 proceedings in relation to a settlement of state law claims
- representation of foreign liquidators in various domestic Chapter 15 proceedings, in connection with litigation and asset discovery and asset recovery matters throughout the U.S.
- representation of a foreign debtor in successfully obtaining recognition and enforcement of the foreign court's order confirming insolvency plan, foreclosing upon class action litigation pending against the debtor in the U.S.
- representation of a majority interest holder in debtor improperly placed in Chapter 11 by its former manager, successfully obtaining dismissal of Chapter 11 proceeding
- representation of the debtor in Chapter 11 proceedings resulting in the successful consummation of an asset sale
- representation of the defendant in the successful settlement of an adversary proceeding filed by the Chapter 11 trustee of a debtor corporation faced with mass tort liability claims
Ms. St. John has an active pro bono practice primarily representing unaccompanied immigrant and refugee juvenile clients in proceedings before the immigration court and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to obtain legal resident status in conjunction with Kids in Need of Defense (KIND).
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. St. John was selected as a University of Maryland J.D. Legal Fellow, and completed her six-month fellowship in Holland & Knight's Litigation Section. During law school, she was an associate editor of The Maryland Law Review and served on the Student Honor Board.
- Law360, "Texas Power Co. Wins Immediate OK Of Ch. 11 Wind-Down", December 21, 2022
- Law360, "Bankrupt Texas Power Plant Gets $144M Asset Sale Approved", June 27, 2022
- Law360, "Meet The Attys For Texas Power Plant Owner In Del. Ch. 11", June 15, 2022
- Law360, "Texas Power Plant Gets Lender Cash Use Approved In Ch. 11", June 2, 2022
- Law360, "Power Plant Owner Defends Ch. 11 Plans Against Challenges", May 31, 2022
- Law360, "Texas Plant's Ch. 11 Has No Obvious Purpose, Del. Judge Told", April 13, 2022
- Law360, "Storm-Hit Texas Power Plant Opens Ch. 11 In Del. For Sale", April 12, 2022
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Maryland School of Law, Health Law Certificate
- Washington and Lee University, B.S., Journalism and Studio Art, cum laude
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- All State Courts in Massachusetts
- All State Courts in Rhode Island
- Boston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), New England Division
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star