Mark Stone is a partner in Holland & Knight's New York office. Mr. Stone practices in the area of corporate, international and real estate taxation and has considerable experience in the representation of non-U.S. companies. He represents clients from Europe to Asia in a variety of taxable and tax-free matters, including acting as lead U.S. tax counsel for the publicly traded purchaser in the reportedly largest acquisition at the time by a Japanese company outside of Japan and in acquisitions in the U.S. by a leading telecommunications company and other publicly held European enterprises. Mr. Stone acted as tax counsel to the large publicly traded Singapore company in its acquisition and financing of the tallest building in the U.S. west of the Mississippi and as tax counsel to Spanish and Portuguese hotel chains in their respective acquisitions, financing, refinancing and sale of certain hotel interests in the U.S. In the domestic setting, Mr. Stone represents complex real estate partnership/LLCs in tax matters arising out of refinancing of hotels and office buildings and restructuring of the underlying ownership interests and provides tax advice to New York developers in large ground up commercial and residential rental and condominium deals.
Mr. Stone is actively involved in bar and other professional association activities. He frequently speaks on international tax and real estate tax issues at the American Bar Association, the International Fiscal Association, the International Tax Institute and other forums. Mr. Stone has also been published in well-respected journals.
- Brexit and Tax Planning, Tax Notes, February 24, 2020
- Brexit and Tax Planning, Tax Notes International, February 24, 2020
- Big Real Estate Moguls Win as Smaller Investors Denied Tax Break, Bloomberg, January 29, 2019
- How Has the New U.S. Tax Law Affected Deductions for Foreign Property Ownership?, Mansion Global, May 17, 2018
- White House Proposes to Exempt Foreign Pension Funds From FIRPTA, Tax Notes Today, April 1, 2013
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, A.B.
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- New York
- American College of Tax Counsel, Fellow
- International Tax Institute, Inc., Board Member, past President, January 2011-September 2013
- International Fiscal Association (USA), New York Region Steering Committee, Member
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law, Federal Taxation of Real Estate Committee, Chair, 2011-2015
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- New York City Bar Association, Committee on Taxation of Business Entities, Member, Past Chair, 2005-2008
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2020
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020