Oil and Gas Tax
- With one of the preeminent energy, oil and gas practices in the world, Holland & Knight is at the forefront of tax issues involving a wide variety of energy transactions, both domestic and international.
- Our attorneys advise companies of all sizes on tax-efficient options and strategies for acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and sharing arrangements, as well as many other types of transactions and investments.
As a preeminent global oil and gas firm, Holland & Knight is at the forefront of tax issues involving all types of energy transactions. Our clients include numerous private equity-backed companies, large and small independents and major integrated multinationals, whom our lawyers advise on the tax aspects of acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and sharing arrangements.
We strive to achieve maximum tax efficiency in complex and innovative international financing transactions, including those backed by production payments and mortgage loans. Our attorneys also structure a wide range of investment vehicles, from large and small public and private equity investments to investments suitable for tax-exempt entities.
[T]he best oil and gas tax lawyers, bar none.
Outstanding oil and gas tax practice … has practical solutions for the issues we encounter.
– Client quotes, U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2021 guide
- Provided tax structuring advice and negotiated the definitive documentation relating to the merger of Linn Energy Inc. and Roan Resources Inc. and the associated spinoff of assets to create a $2.5 billion-plus strategic combination of properties in the Oklahoma Stack region
- Provided tax structuring advice and negotiated the definitive documentation relating to Silver Hill Energy Partners' sale of oil and gas properties in the Permian Basin to RSP Permian Inc. in exchange for $1.25 billion of cash and 31 million RSP shares (approximately 20 percent of the company), implying a total purchase price of approximately $2.4 billion
- Provided tax advice in connection with the merger of Yates Petroleum Corporation with EOG Resources Inc., in a deal valued at approximately $2.4 billion
- Provided tax advice to Brazos Midstream Holdings in connection with the $1.75 billion sale of its Delaware Basin subsidiaries to a subsidiary of North Haven Infrastructure Partners (NHIP)
- Provided tax advice to Ajax Resources in connection with the sale of its northern Midland Basin assets for $1.24 billion in cash and stock to Diamondback Energy
- Provided tax advice to the conflicts committee in connection with the American Midstream Partners LP acquisition of an additional 15.5 percent equity interest in Delta House, a fee-based, semi-submersible floating production and processing system, from affiliates of ArcLight Capital Partners LLC for total consideration of approximately $125.4 million
- Provided tax advice to Yorktown Energy Partners X LP, the largest owner of Solaris Oilfield Infrastructure LLC, in connection with a $121 million initial public offering (IPO) utilizing an Up-C structure
- Provided tax advice to Step Energy Services Ltd. in connection with the purchase of all of the shares of Tucker Energy Services Holdings Inc.
- Provided tax advice to a major U.S. oil company in connection with structuring a gas facilities joint venture in West Africa involving a substantial investment
- Provided structuring and tax planning advice to a major Turkish petrochemical group in connection with establishing operations in the United States
- Provided structuring and tax planning advice to a publicly traded Australian upstream oil and gas company
- Provided tax advice to a major oil and gas company in connection with its corporate international restructuring