Graham T. Coates
Graham T. Coates is an energy, environmental and public utility attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office. He represents and advises independent power producers, utilities, power suppliers, project developers and financial institutions in regulatory matters and commercial transactions involving the financing, development and operation of energy infrastructure in the United States.
Mr. Coates' experience extends across a broad range of both renewable and non-renewable energy resources, including wind, solar, fuel cell, combined heat and power, geothermal, liquefied natural gas, biomass and traditional fossil-fired electric generating units. His project development experience includes negotiating power purchase agreements, offtake/sales agreements, EPC contracts, O&M agreements, and securing environmental permits and public financing for energy infrastructure projects. Mr. Coates has also advised clients in the acquisition and disposition of energy assets in various M&A transactions.
In addition, Mr. Coates is well versed in federal and state public utility regulation and energy policy, including competitive wholesale electric markets, retail electric and natural gas service, cost-of-service rate case proceedings, tariff disputes, interconnection and transmission disputes, utility merger approvals, utility debt approvals and emerging energy policy issues, including community solar, energy storage, renewable fuels, offshore wind generation, merchant transmission and microgrids.
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., Certificate in Energy and Environmental Law, with honors
- State University of New York at Albany, B.S., Finance, Economics
- New York
- Connecticut Power and Energy Society, Board of Directors
- Northeast Energy and Commerce Association, Board of Directors
- Connecticut Bar Association, Energy, Public Utility and Communications Law Section, Treasurer
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, New York Government Relations Practice Ones to Watch, 2023
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- New Leaders in the Law, Connecticut Law Tribune, Energy and Environmental Law, 2017