Maria Z. Cortes is a real estate attorney in Holland & Knight's Philadelphia office, where she handles all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including the acquisition, disposition, leasing, development and financing of commercial real estate. In addition, she advises institutional lenders in a broad range of financing transactions for multifamily and commercial properties. Ms. Cortes represents owners, developers and investors in the purchase, sale and development of real property from agreement through closing, and counsels clients on zoning and land use matters.
Ms. Cortes was selected to the 2022 class of Pathfinders for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), which consists of more than 300 corporate chief legal officers and law firm managing partners who are committed to creating a more diverse and inclusive legal profession.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Cortes was an associate at a national law firm. She previously served as a law clerk to the Honorable Julio L. Mendez for the Atlantic and Cape May Superior Court of New Jersey.
During law school, Ms. Cortes was the managing notes editor for the Rutgers Journal of Law and Public Policy.
- Rutgers Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Stockton University, B.A., Political Science
- New Jersey
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law; Fellow, 2022-2024
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, Trustee, 2019-Present
- Restructuring of the Year ($1B to $5B), 17th Annual Turnaround Awards, The M&A Advisor, 2023
- 30 Under 35 Top Young Latino Leaders of South Jersey, Front Runner New Jersey, 2022
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Pathfinder Program, 2022