Retail Development and Leasing
- Holland & Knight’s retail attorneys offer strong counsel on the full range of retail development, leasing and management transactions, including all areas of leasing, finance/mortgage lending, design/build, acquisitions/sales, joint venture agreements and listing agreements.
- We advise clients on projects ranging from regional mall work, power centers and urban retail projects to neighborhood shopping center development and mixed-use projects.
- Representing owners, developers, brokers, investors, lenders, managers and tenants, our Retail Development and Leasing Team provides clients with a depth of commercial real estate experience.
The dedicated retail real estate lawyers at Holland & Knight are renowned for creative and complex retail project work involving the full range of development and leasing transactions.
Geographic Reach / Hands-on Approach
Our real estate group’s large size, legal acumen, aggregate skill set and depth of knowledge allow us to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Throughout the course of any transaction, our commercial real estate attorneys remain hands-on and responsive to you. We are currently involved in multiple projects in all major U.S. markets, as well as abroad.
We pride ourselves on our commitment to becoming an integrated part of each client's team and tailoring our work to fit into our client's existing practices and procedures.
We are able to respond to our clients' projects with a solid foundation of knowledge based on work undertaken for owners, developers, brokers, investors, lenders, managers and tenants, including projects in the following areas:
- anchor leasing
- big box leasing
- build-to-suit transactions
- declarations and operating agreements
- construction contracts
- development/redevelopment agreements
- finance/mortgage lending
- ground leases
- in-line leases
- joint venture agreements
- management and listing agreements
- outparcel sales and development agreements
- sale/leaseback transactions
- site development agreements
We represent clients on a variety of project types. Representative projects include:
- urban retail projects combining retail, office, hotel and residential components in major urban markets
- "street" retail, entertainment-oriented and traditional downtown retail environments
- regional and premier malls
- neighborhood shopping centers, including grocery store- and drugstore-anchored properties
- specialty entertainment projects, including projects with entertainment components such as movie theaters, live theaters, restaurants, hotels, and sports facilities and venues
- "lifestyle" centers
- major power centers and big box projects
- restaurant parks
- outlet and "off-price" value retail centers
- redevelopment of non-retail real estate into retail projects
- public-private partnerships for the redevelopment of former government assets
Our commercial real estate attorneys easily draw on the support of lawyers across the firm in complementary fields, including: construction, land use and zoning, real estate litigation, environmental, bankruptcy, tax planning and entity formation.
Members of the Retail Development and Leasing Team are actively involved in industry organizations and associations, which further the connections and influence at work for you, including:
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)