Michael A. Cottone
Michael Cottone is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office who assists clients across industries with a variety of litigation, state and local tax, and unclaimed property matters. His recent experience includes eliminating multimillion-dollar property tax assessments, overturning a Medicaid regulation and winning significant damages for clients in a Davidson County Chancery Court bench trial. In addition to working in the courtroom, he has successfully represented clients in formal and informal administrative proceedings before the Tennessee Department of Revenue and the Tennessee State Board of Equalization, obtained several positive letter rulings and secured tax refunds and credits for his clients.
Mr. Cottone is also an adjunct professor at the University of Tennessee College of Law where he teaches on state and local taxation. He publishes regularly on state and local tax law.
Previously, Michael served as an associate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group for Bass Berry & Sims. He also served as a law clerk for the Hon. Eugene E. Siler of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and for the Hon. J. Daniel Breen of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Middle Tennessee State University, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Council on State Taxation
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Ones to Watch, Tax Law, 2021-2023
- Rising Star, Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, 2021