Robert Dougherty is a business attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office, where he focuses his practice on acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures relating to energy assets. Mr. Dougherty is the leader of the firm's Oil and Gas Practice.
Mr. Dougherty's energy experience includes advising clients on acquisitions and divestitures of upstream and midstream oil and gas assets and companies (domestic, foreign and offshore), drilling partnerships, mineral and royalty-buying partnerships, farmout agreements, participation agreements and other joint venture agreements. In addition to the foregoing, Mr. Dougherty has significant experience advising on and preparing agreements related to all facets of the energy industry.
- Represented Ajax Resources LLC in the sale of its northern Midland Basin assets to Diamondback Energy Inc. for $1.25 billion, consisting of $900 million in cash and 2.58 million shares of Diamondback common stock
- Represented Murchison Oil and Gas LLC in its acquisition of certain assets from a subsidiary of ROXO Energy in Howard and Borden counties, Texas
- Represented Tailwater Capital-backed Pivotal Petroleum Partners on its sale of producing wells in North Dakota to publicly traded Northern Oil and Gas Inc. for $151.83 million
- Represented Yates Petroleum Corporation in its $2.4 billion merger with EOG Resources Inc.
- Represented BC Operating Inc. and other entities in the sale of approximately 70,000 net acres in the Permian Basin to Marathon Oil Corporation for $1.1 billion in cash
- Represented Ajax Resources LLC in its $376.1 million acquisition of Permian Basin assets from W&T Offshore Inc.; W&T also reserved a 1 to 4 percent sliding scale overriding royalty interest
- Represented the subsidiary of a Korean conglomerate in its $360 million purchase of producing and non-producing assets in Oklahoma and Texas from two separate sellers
- Represented Silver Hill Energy Partners II LLC in its $290 million acquisition of Permian assets in Texas and New Mexico from COG Operating LLC, a subsidiary of Concho Resources Inc.
- Represented Titanium Exploration Partners LLC in its acquisition from Vanguard Natural Resources LLC of natural gas, oil and natural gas liquids assets in the South Central Oklahoma Oil Province (SCOOP) and Sooner Trend, Anadarko, and Canadian and Kingfisher counties (STACK) area in Oklahoma for $272.5 million
- Represented EnerVest Ltd. in the $268 million sale of certain producing and undeveloped oil and gas properties and related midstream assets in the Western Anadarko Basin to FourPoint Energy LLC; FourPoint Energy and EnerVest also entered into a joint development agreement and area of mutual interest agreement to own, operate and develop oil and gas properties in the Western Anadarko Basin
- Represented PetroLegacy Energy II LLC in its $266 million acquisition of roughly 20,000 net acres in northeastern Martin County, Texas, from Pioneer Natural Resources
- Represented Chaparral Energy LLC, an affiliate of Chaparral Energy Inc., in the $170 million sale of its North Burbank and Texas Panhandle enhanced oil recovery (EOR) assets to Perdure Petroleum
- Represented Oil India Limited and Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. in the combined $123 million purchase of a 30 percent working interest in the Niobrara assets of Carrizo Oil & Gas Inc.
- Represented Chaparral Energy LLC in its $60 million acquisition of acreage in Kingfisher County, Oklahoma, from a private seller
- Represented a private equity-backed portfolio company in its $32 million sale of E&P assets in the Delaware Basin to a Dallas-based energy company
- Representation of an investment firm in connection with a $31.4 million acquisition of mineral and royalty interests in 35 counties across Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan and New Mexico from a family partnership
- Represented a Dallas-based oil and gas company in its $28 million sale of California producing properties
- Representation of a private equity-backed oil and gas company in its $23 million purchase of roughly 185 net mineral acres of leasehold and interests in 40 oil and gas wells in Martin and Midland counties, Texas
- Represented Ball Park Energy LLC in its acquisition of producing E&P assets located in Southeast Texas from Linn Energy Holdings LLC, Linn Operating LLC and Blue Mountain Midstream LLC
- Represented Sunbridge Energy Services in an agreement with Hanwha Cimarron LLC whereby Hanwha will supply tube trailers containing dozens of vessels that can store compressed natural gas and other pressurized gases, such as hydrogen, with a value of up to $260 million
- Represented a Texas-based oil and gas company in its agreement to drill three horizontal wells in Ward and Loving counties, Texas, in exchange for partial leasehold assignments from counterparties, as well as its agreement to fund certain well costs of counterparties
- Represented an investment firm focused on mineral and royalty interests in the execution of a mineral joint venture with an exploration and production (E&P) company, under which the client will receive information regarding planned wells in the Permian Basin in order to target mineral and royalty acquisitions "ahead of the drill bit" in exchange for the conveyance of an interest in certain fee minerals
- Represented Chaparral Energy LLC in a DrillCo transaction with BCE Roadrunner LLC, an affiliate of Bayou City Energy, to jointly develop Chaparral’s Sooner Trend, Anadarko, and Canadian and Kingfisher counties (STACK) acreage in Canadian and Garfield counties, Oklahoma
- Represented Pivotal Petroleum Partners, a portfolio company of Tailwater Capital LLC, in a farmout transaction with Black Stone Minerals LP that covers the majority of Black Stone's Haynesville and Bossier Shale acreage under active development agreements in the Shelby Trough in Angelina and San Augustine counties, Texas
- Represented Pivotal Petroleum Partners in a DrillCo transaction to fund up to 18 South Central Oklahoma Oil Province (SCOOP) wells (with an off-ramp after the first nine) on a 75/25 basis with Canyon Creek Energy; after reaching payout, the interests will revert to 25/75
- Represented a private equity-backed portfolio company in a DrillCo joint venture with a Dallas-based energy investment firm covering properties in Blaine, Woodward, Major and Dewey counties in Oklahoma; five-well commitment with an option to fund five additional wells
- Represented a private equity-backed portfolio company in a DrillCo joint venture with a Dallas-based energy investment firm covering SCOOP/STACK properties
- Represented GAIL (India) Limited in a joint venture with Carrizo Oil & Gas Inc. for a 20 percent working interest in roughly 20,200 net acres located in LaSalle County, Texas, targeting the Eagle Ford Shale
- University of Arkansas School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- The University of Georgia, B.B.A.
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Oil and Gas Law, 2022
- The Legal 500 USA, Energy Transactions – Oil & Gas, 2020-2022
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers magazine, Energy & Natural Resources, 2020-2022