Flynne Marie Dowdy
Flynne Dowdy is an employment attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office. An experienced trial attorney, Ms. Dowdy represents employers in litigation and provides day-to-day advice and counseling to management and human resources personnel.
Clients across a wide range of industries rely on Ms. Dowdy to investigate and resolve labor and employment matters, including allegations of harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge. Ms. Dowdy's practice also involves Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and state wage and hour litigation, including collective and class actions.
Additionally, Ms. Dowdy helps clients develop strategies to reduce the likelihood of disruptive litigation. She drafts employment and independent contractor agreements, severance and settlement agreements, and policy manuals and handbooks. Her experience also includes unfair competition and trade secret litigation.
Ms. Dowdy defends lawsuits and charges brought under state and federal laws including:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- National Labor Relations Act (NLRA)
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX)
Previously, Ms. Dowdy gained valuable courtroom experience with law firms in Nashville and Miami. She began her legal career as an Assistant District Attorney with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office in Houston.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D.
- Howard University, B.A., cum laude
- PENCIL, Board Member
- Nashville Bar Association, Board Treasurer, 2022
- Nashville Bar Foundation Leadership Forum, Steering Committee
- Napier- Looby Bar Association (NLBA)
- American Health Law Association (AHLA)
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Lawyers Association for Women, Marion Griffin Chapter
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Junior League of Nashville
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.
- Jack and Jill of America Inc., Nashville Chapter
- Nashville Bar Foundation Leadership Forum, Fellow, Class of 2019
- Ones to Watch, The Best Lawyers in America guide, 2018-2023