Garrett Garfield is a commercial litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Portland office. He has represented businesses, from startups to large publicly traded corporations, in state and federal courts in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Mr. Garfield has successfully handled cases through all stages of litigation, including contract disputes, commercial leases, class actions, business torts, trade secrets, employment discrimination claims, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) claims and land use/real estate disputes.
In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Garfield has successfully briefed and argued cases in the appellate courts of Oregon and Washington, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Mr. Garfield also has extensive experience representing financial institutions such as national and state banks, mortgage lenders and loan servicers in consumer financial services litigation. He is also experienced in maritime litigation, including vessel arrests and cargo attachments.
During law school, Mr. Garfield worked in the University of Chicago's Mandel Legal Aid Clinic, where he represented juveniles accused of crimes.
- Representing a multinational company in complex litigation in state and federal courts to enforce $62 million commercial guarantees within the United States against a foreign entity
- Prosecuting a Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) and antitrust lawsuit in federal court on behalf of an energy company against a public utility
- Defending a company in federal court against a multimillion-dollar claim for misappropriation of trade secrets
- Obtaining a complete dismissal of breach of contract claims against a technology company arising from a user agreement
- Defending a software company against multimillion-dollar RICO and related claims in Oregon state court
- Representing a real estate investment company in $3.6 million arbitration following dissolution of partnership
- Intervening in bankruptcy adversary proceedings on behalf of a developer to secure distribution of proceeds from multimillion-dollar apartment development
- Representing a closely held company with respect to claims of shareholder oppression and breach of fiduciary duty
- Obtaining an emergency injunctive relief allowing a restaurant franchise to continue operating during litigation over terms of commercial lease
- Defending a distributor against breach of contract and intentional interference with economic relations claims asserted by a manufacturer in federal court
- Obtaining a directed verdict in state court on behalf of a loan servicer against numerous claims arising from securitization of loan; successfully defending judgment on appeal
- Obtaining a summary judgment on behalf of a loan servicer in case involving novel question of Washington law; successfully defending judgment on appeal in published opinion
- Defending a loan servicer against state court tort claims arising from property preservation efforts
- Defending a loan servicer and lender in federal litigation asserting breach of state consumer protection act statutes and breach of contract
- Defending a debt collection firm against Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and state consumer protection act claims
- Defending regional banks against unlawful trade practices act claims filed in Oregon state court by a local government entity
- Successfully resolving on behalf of loan servicers and investors numerous state and federal lawsuits contesting judicial and nonjudicial foreclosures of residential mortgages in Oregon and Washington
- Defending a real estate company in a multimillion-dollar Oregon state court class action alleging violation of landlord-tenant statutes
- Defending an employer and obtaining dismissal of claims in federal lawsuit of racial and disability discrimination
- Defending an employer in Oregon state court against a sex discrimination claim
- Obtaining a dismissal on behalf of landowner of claim for public prescriptive easement
- Obtaining a dismissal on behalf of ranch of claim for private prescriptive easement
- Obtaining a summary judgment for a title insurer on contract claims arising from condominium development
- Brigham Young University, B.A.
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., with honors
- All Trial Courts in Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- All Appellate Courts in Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2015-2019
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2014