John Halula is a south Florida attorney whose practice focuses on real estate and commercial lending and other real estate related transactions. He has over 30 years of experience in these areas. In the real estate area, he represents clients in transactions involving sales, acquisitions, sale-leasebacks, ground leases, building and space leases, and like-kind exchanges of real property and related personal property.
In the area of real estate and commercial finance, Mr. Halula represents various types of domestic and international lenders providing construction and permanent financing for multifamily residential, condominium, hospitality, retail, office and industrial projects at their inception, renewal and (trouble debt) restructuring. These include banks, insurance companies and credit companies. He also represents lenders in asset-based financings, such as receivable, inventory, equipment and working capital facilities. Such representation often includes documentation of multi-lender credits such as participations, syndications (including A-B note structures) and intercreditor arrangements. His experience also includes involvement in multi-state mortgage financings. Additionally, he has developed substantial experience representing providers of credit enhancement, such as letters of credit, in municipal finance transactions.
Mr. Halula has lectured on real estate finance topics and is an adjunct professor of law at the University of Miami School of Law.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., with honors
- University of Florida, B.S., Accounting, with honors
- The Florida Bar - Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Urban Land Institute, Associate Member
- ABA - Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2006-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Miami Real Estate Lawyer of the Year, 2022
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Real Estate, 2007-2019, 2021, 2022
- Top Dealmaker Award, Construction Financing, Daily Business Review, 2015
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate Finance and Leasing, 2009-2010
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Certified Public Accountant