Real Estate Finance
- Holland & Knight’s Real Estate Finance Team works as an integrated unit across geographical and legal practice areas to provide comprehensive counsel on a wide array of real estate financing and investment transactions.
- We assist our clients in structuring, managing and maximizing the returns on their debt and equity investments.
- Our attorneys represent a variety of commercial real estate participants, including lenders, borrowers, investors, servicers and asset managers, and are well versed in navigating and negotiating sophisticated finance and investment transactions in all sectors.
Access to a full range of resources is essential when financing or making equity investments in commercial real estate. Our lawyers handle the full life cycle of commercial real estate (CRE) financings and investments, from originations to sales and securitizations to workouts and foreclosures. From conventional bank financing arrangements to national mortgage and mezzanine lending programs, you can entrust your most important and complex finance and investment transactions to the real estate attorneys at Holland & Knight.
We assist both borrowers and lenders in all aspects of their transactions. Borrower clients involve us in all aspects of their financings, including analyzing financing options, negotiating term sheets and efficiently managing the closing process to a timely conclusion. We often introduce our borrower clients to brokers or lenders to help them fulfill their financing needs. Our attorneys also counsel lenders on loan transactions from the outset, many times advising on complex underwriting questions and optimum ways to structure debt as the deal makes its way from underwriting review to term sheet to closing.
Benefit from Geographic Reach and Cross-Disciplinary Support
When you come to us for real estate finance counsel, we draw upon Holland & Knight’s strengths across the firm to offer representation both locally and nationally, including most major U.S. markets. You benefit from the extensive knowledge and resources of over 100 practice areas, including litigation, corporate and securities, derivatives, bankruptcy, construction, environmental, tax, healthcare, hospitality, zoning, leasing and land development.
A Multifaceted Practice Ensures Industry Savvy
Our team’s experience representing a wide range of financial institutions – U.S. and foreign banks, insurance companies, pension funds, debt funds, mortgage real estate investment trusts (REITs), conduit lenders and other finance companies – enables us to represent your real estate finance interests. Our attorneys work closely with our clients to understand both their legal and financial goals in the context of each transaction. All commercial real estate asset types and classes are encompassed by our finance practice, including office, retail, industrial, warehouse, self-storage, healthcare, multifamily (including affordable housing and rent-controlled properties), condominium, timeshare, hospitality, senior living, recreational areas and manufactured housing communities.
Handling the Full Range of Real Estate Finance Matters
Holland & Knight's Real Estate Finance Team works to assist you in finance matters such as:
- permanent, bridge and construction financings
- capital markets and portfolio financings, including commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) and collateralized loan obligations (CLOs)
- mezzanine and A/B-tiered financings
- preferred equity investments
- healthcare finance
- net lease, credit tenant lease and sale-leaseback financings, including private placements
- loan syndications, participations and assignments
- leasehold and leased fee financings
- loan administration and servicing, loan assumptions, defeasances and modifications
- acquisition and disposition of loans and loan portfolios
- hospitality and timeshare lending
- lending programs under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act)
- government-sponsored enterprise lending, including Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- defaults, workouts, foreclosures, deeds-in-lieu and bankruptcy matters
- multi-state, multi-borrower and multi-property financings
- shared appreciation loans
- portfolios of non-performing loans
When it comes to CRE capital market transactions, we understand your need for real estate attorneys who are knowledgeable of rating agency, B-piece buyer and other structuring requirements as well as proficient in the documentation, due diligence and closing of these types of specialized real estate finance matters. Due to our strong familiarity with the process, the requirements and the players, our lawyers are able to help our clients structure their real estate transactions so as to avoid unnecessary costs and delays and maximize their success upon execution.