Shelley G. Hurwitz is a partner who helps lead a national team of attorneys, fiduciary accountants and paralegals who advocate on behalf of nonprofit organizations as beneficiaries of matured bequests. Ms. Hurwitz and the team follow donor intent by reducing administration fees, maximizing gift value and expediting distributions. Her practice canvasses the entire nonprofit sector, including charitable, medical, religious and educational organizations, with the ultimate goal of following donor intent to accelerate and increase bequest revenue to those organizations. Her team's work also produces hundreds of productive fundraising and planned giving prospects for nonprofit organizations. Leveraging off Holland & Knight's national footprint and technology, all probate and trust administration matters are managed in a paperless environment, with client access to working files.
Ms. Hurwitz's diverse legal background includes defending product manufacturers against individual and class action claims for personal injuries, property damage and alleged violations of consumer protection and privacy statutes. She has represented defendants in numerous toxic exposure cases, and claims under California's Proposition 65. Ms. Hurwitz has extensive experience in state and federal court, and before the California Appellate Courts, California Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in class and individual matters.
Consumer and Class Action Litigation Matters
- Defended a handheld torch manufacturer in numerous catastrophic personal injury claims at the trial court level and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; multiple wins at the trial and appellate level
- Defended health-related organizations against class action claims of violation of California's consumer privacy statutes; case dismissed at the pleading stage
- Defended pharmacies against class action claims of violation of California's consumer laws; case dismissed at the pleading stage, with the dismissal affirmed by the Appellate Court and California Supreme Court
- Defended an airline against multiple class actions, including privacy class actions and claims for improper baggage fees
- Defended numerous defendants against class claims that the defendant's call recording practices violated California's penal laws
- Defendant a manufacturer of medical device against class claims that advertising for the product was false and misleading
- Defended car seat manufacturers against wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims
- Defended a glass manufacturer against wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims
- Defended multiple domestic and foreign airlines against personal injury and wrongful death claims
- Defended numerous chemical manufacturers against claims that exposure to their products caused disease
- Defended an appliance manufacturer against claims that appliances caused fire and water damage to property, and caused catastrophic injuries to consumers
- Defended a car rental company against class action alleging violation of consumer protection laws
- Defended a nail gun manufacturer against claims that product caused injury to users
- Defended a blinds manufacture against claims that product caused injury to child
- Defended a trucking company against wrongful death suit arising from accident at a trucking yard
- University of California, San Diego, B.A.
- UCLA School of Law, J.D.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Supreme Court of California
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project Outstanding Services Award, 2014