Kenneth A. Jenero
Kenneth A. Jenero is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Labor, Employment & Benefits Practice Group. Mr. Jenero is an experienced trial lawyer and business advisor, who has devoted his entire professional career to litigation and client counseling in all areas of labor and employment law, including:
- union avoidance, collective bargaining, unfair labor practices, labor arbitration and union-management relations
- employment discrimination, civil rights and affirmative action
- wrongful discharge, retaliation and common law employment torts
- trade secrets, non-compete agreements and other post-employment restrictive covenants
- wage and hour law
- occupational safety and health
Labor Relations Experience
Mr. Jenero, who has more than 35 years of traditional labor law experience, serves as the co-leader of Holland & Knight's Labor Relations for Management Team. He has conducted comprehensive union avoidance training for national and regional employers; worked closely with company executives in developing and implementing union-free strategies; successfully represented employers in multiple union organizing campaigns and related representation proceedings; negotiated collective bargaining agreements; helped employers respond to strikes, picketing and other concerted activity; and represented employers in unfair labor practice proceedings, representation cases, arbitration hearings and related federal court lawsuits.
Mr. Jenero serves as labor counsel for the Illinois Landscape Contractors Bargaining Association (ILCBA) and several of its member companies. He represents the ILCBA in collective bargaining negotiations with Local 150, International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 703, International Brotherhood of Teamsters and Local 707, National Production Workers Union. The collective bargaining agreements set the standard for unionized employers in the landscape construction and maintenance industry in Northeastern Illinois. Mr. Jenero counsels the employer members of the Joint Grievance Committee, which is responsible for resolving grievances under the ILCBA contracts. He also provides ongoing advice to the ILCBA and its members on a wide variety of labor issues, including jurisdictional disputes, strikes and picketing, prevailing wage disputes, project labor agreements, and trust fund audits and litigation.
Mr. Jenero's practice has encompassed many industries, including healthcare, manufacturing, distribution, temporary staffing, transportation and inter-modal operations, public transit, construction, landscaping, environmental services and recycling, security, insurance, financial services, not-for-profit organizations, commercial printing, retail, travel and tourism, hospitality, restaurants and food service, and professional services. Throughout his career, Mr. Jenero has served as outside labor and employment counsel for a wide range of business clients, including large publicly held companies, middle market companies and family-owned businesses.
Mr. Jenero has represented a wide variety of healthcare clients, including hospitals, medical clinics, long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities, home health providers, vocational and residential service providers, pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers. Mr. Jenero's experience includes representing healthcare employers in labor and employment-related litigation in state and federal courts, labor arbitrations and government enforcement actions; working with healthcare employers to develop and implement union-free strategies; conducting collective bargaining negotiations; drafting employment agreements, employee leasing agreements and staffing agreements for healthcare employers; conducting labor and employment due diligence in connection with the acquisition of healthcare companies; and drafting and enforcing healthcare industry non-compete agreements.
Mr. Jenero represents private and public sector employers on a nationwide basis before arbitrators, administrative agencies, and state and federal courts at all levels. He has successfully represented employers in labor and employment litigation, unfair labor practice proceedings, arbitration hearings and non-compete cases in 25 states: Illinois, Tennessee, Michigan, Indiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, Kansas, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Ohio, Oklahoma, Missouri, New Mexico, California, Oregon, Minnesota, New Hampshire and Nevada.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D.
- DePaul University, B.A., with high honors
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- All State Courts in Illinois
- National Italian American Bar Association, Board of Directors; Midwest Regional Vice President
- Justinian Society of Lawyers
- Chicago Southland Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors; Chair-Elect, 2012; Chair, 2013; former General Counsel and Board Member
- Search, Inc., Board of Directors
- Keystone Alliance, Board of Directors
- Chicago Police Memorial Foundation, Advisory Board
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated