Philip S. Lapatin is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Boston office and member of the Real Estate Section. Mr. Lapatin concentrates his practice on the purchase and sale of investment property as well as the representation of landlords and tenants in commercial leasing transactions.
Mr. Lapatin has been providing legal advice as general counsel to the Greater Boston Real Estate Board and its divisions since 1973, including suits in which rent control ordinances and condominium conversion restrictions were invalidated; the state licensing agency was barred from enforcing a regulation which obligated brokers to become involved in the resolution of deposit disputes; and the City of Boston was prevented from taxing the owners of large buildings in order to fund fire department costs. His work for the Real Estate Board has also brought him before legislative committees and various regulatory agencies.
Mr. Lapatin is the author of The Massachusetts Landlord Survival Guide, a regularly updated explanation of apartment leasing, and the Real Estate Board's Standard Forms Guide and Legal Desk Book. In addition, he contributes monthly legal articles to newsletters published by the Real Estate Board. He lectures frequently and has been a guest on television and radio programs discussing real estate topics. He also serves as case commentator for the Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts, reviewing and analyzing new court decisions of interest to practitioners.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.A.
- Greater Boston Real Estate Board
- Real Estate Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2007-2021
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Real Estate, 2013-2020
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine, 2005-2014, 2016-2020
- Boston's Best Lawyers, 2008, 2009
- Real Estate Bar Association's Richard B. Johnson Lifetime Achievement Award, 2008
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine, May 2009
- Medallion of Service, Omega Tau Rho (National Association of Realtors)