James E. McDermott
James E. McDermott is a partner in Holland & Knight's Boston office. Mr. McDermott concentrates his practice in tax and business transactions with an emphasis on the equity financing of affordable housing projects eligible for the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), and projects of all types eligible for the Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit. He has represented numerous investors, developers and syndicators for more than 40 years in these matters. He is a frequent speaker at industry and legal conferences on the LIHTC.
Mr. McDemott served on the governing committee of the American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law from 2006 to 2013 and served as chair in 2012-2013. From 2008 to 2020, Mr. McDermott served as the firmwide section leader for Holland & Knight's Business Law Section.
Mr. McDermott is actively involved in various activities of the Boston College and Boston College Law School Alumni Associations. While in law school Mr. McDermott served as an editor of the Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review. Mr. McDermott served as law clerk to justices of the Superior Court in Massachusetts from 1980-1981.
- Boston College Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Boston College, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude
- Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition, Vice President
- ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development, Chair, 2012-2013; Governing Committee
- Housing Advisory Group
- National Housing & Rehabilitation Association
- Preservation Massachusetts, Inc., Director
- Massachusetts Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Implementation Committee
- Watertown Arsenal Development Corporation, former Member, Board of Directors
- Watertown Arts on the Charles, former Member, Board of Directors
- Watertown Community Foundation, former Member, Board of Directors
- Watertown Growth Management Committee, former Chairman
- Watertown Economic Development Task Force, former Chairman
- Watertown Affordable Housing Task Force, former Chairman
- Watertown Arsenal Re-Use Committee, former Chairman
- Watertown Planning Board, former Chairman