Paul McDermott is a trial and litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Tampa office. He advises and represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters involving contract disputes, business torts, shareholder disputes, consumer and commercial banking disputes, noncompetition agreements, intellectual property disputes, insurance brokerage disputes, physician joint venture disputes, adversary bankruptcy proceedings, and real estate.
Mr. McDermott has extensive experience representing businesses and individuals who operate in the financial services, healthcare, real estate, and manufacturing industries. He litigates in federal and state courts, as well as arbitration forums, and his practice covers all aspects of trial litigation, including pre-suit investigations through jury and non-jury trials.
Mr. McDermott's experience includes:
- defending a large institutional investor against fiduciary duty and related claims
- defending business tort and mismanagement claims brought against the minority owner of a statewide healthcare provider
- representing financial institutions in commercial loan and lender liability disputes
- advising owners of closely held businesses on shareholder disputes, business dissolutions, and related litigation
- representing buyers and sellers in litigation involving post-transaction representation and warranty disputes
- representing board members of a not-for-profit charity in a matter involving corporate governance issues
- defending claims of professional malpractice against an accounting and advisory firm
- defending financial institutions, broker-dealers, investment managers, and registered representatives in claims brought by consumers alleging securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, and breach of contract
- defending institutional trustees and a mutual fund distributor in matters regarding trust administration and investment performance
- representing a majority owner in a dispute involving the purchase of a physician joint venture practice
- defending fiduciary duty and related claims brought by minority shareholders of a healthcare insurance company against a private equity firm
- representing a national kidney dialysis provider in various litigation and administrative compliance matters
- defending claims of medical malpractice and personal injury, including wrongful death
- representing national multifamily residential developers on claims of construction and design discrimination under the Fair Housing Act and Americans with Disabilities Act brought by private plaintiffs and the U.S. Department of Justice
- representing a county government defending claims of intentional discrimination under the Fair Housing Act and Americans with Disabilities Act
- representing a federal residential mortgage purchaser in a putative class action involving claims of disparate impact discrimination
- advising multifamily residential developers and owners on compliance with state and federal accessibility laws
- representing a digital graphics manufacturer in advertising, competition, trade secret, and employment-related disputes
- representing a packaging industry manufacturer in matters involving advertising, trade secret, and competition disputes
Mr. McDermott also serves as the pro bono partner for the Tampa office and regularly provides pro bono representation to clients in need. Among other pro bono matters, he has argued before the Florida Supreme Court on behalf of an indigent prisoner defendant, represented a single parent in a family custody dispute, represented a minor in the foster care system, and represented an armed services member in obtaining a civil injunction.
Mr. McDermott is a former board member of the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. He is a longtime member of the local board of directors of Junior Achievement, a nonprofit organization that emphasizes economic literacy and entrepreneurship in schools. Mr. McDermott is the former co-chair of the Opening Doors for Children Mock Trial Program at Benjamin Franklin Middle School, sponsored by Holland & Knight.