Matt Roberts is a financial services attorney in Holland & Knight's Atlanta office. Mr. Roberts focuses his practice in the areas of lending, structured finance and project finance, with an emphasis on renewable energy and sustainable infrastructure. He has more than 28 years of experience representing public and private clients in finance transactions, including asset-based lending, lender finance, cash flow transactions, debt sale transactions, workouts and restructurings, letter of credit facilities and factoring, and receivables finance transactions.
In the renewable energy and sustainable infrastructure space, Mr. Roberts has represented clients in project finance transactions, including construction and permanent finance with tax equity components, developer finance facilities and equipment/inventory financing facilities with novel and innovative structures. These financings frequently are structured to take advantage of tax credits and other similar rebate programs as well as often involve international guarantees, collateral and compliance components.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Roberts was a financial services attorney for a national law firm in its Atlanta office and concentrated in the areas of finance, capital projects and infrastructure, and asset-based lending.
During law school, Mr. Roberts was the editor-in-chief of the Valparaiso Law Review.
- Represented a leading sustainable infrastructure company as lender to provide approximately $60 million to a borrower in a series of senior secured term and revolving loans to support project development and equipment supply for a number of energy storage and sustainable infrastructure projects in North America
- Represented a leading sustainable infrastructure company as lender to provide approximately $150 million in multiple draw senior secured term loans to finance the acquisition and construction of a portfolio of energy storage assets in California
- Represented a lender in connection with an approximately $300 million construction and permanent finance credit facility to provide financing for a portfolio of hydrogen fuel cell power plant projects
- Represented a provider of capital for sustainable water projects in connection with a senior secured $30 million term loan facility to provide working capital, development financing and construction financing for an international developer of water and wastewater projects
- Represented a national banking association in connection with approximately $50 million in senior secured financing for the development of a portfolio of solar projects
- Represented a private capital provider in connection with a $50 million senior secured term loan to finance the purchase and installation of an assembly line to manufacture solar panels
- Represented a nonbank lender in connection with a senior secured term loan facility in the amount of approximately $200 million for an industry leader in green hydrogen
- Represented a national bank in connection with a series of construction loan facilities in an aggregate principal amount of approximately $200 million to finance the construction of several utility scale solar projects in the southeastern United States
- Represented a national bank in connection with approximately $20 million in permanent term financing for a portfolio of distributed generation solar energy facilities located in New Jersey and California
- Represented a developer in connection with an approximately $25 million note purchase facility for the purchase of energy storage units to be deployed in a series of projects
- Represented a developer in connection with approximately $80 million in term loan facilities to provide construction and permanent financing for two community energy generation facilities located in the northeastern United States
- Represented the owner of a solar energy project located in Jamaica in connection with an approximately $50 million loan facility to refinance existing debt and provide funds for construction of improvements and expansion
- Represented the owner/developer of smart energy solution installations in Florida in connection with approximately $180 million credit facility to finance the installation of smart energy solutions in county schools
- Represented an international manufacturer and distributor of home products in connection with senior term and revolving credit facilities, a mezzanine term facility and U.S. and foreign currency receivables purchase facilities to finance a cross-border acquisition and finance ongoing business operations
- Represented a national bank in connection with term and revolving credit facilities in an aggregate principal amount of $160 million to finance acquisitions and working capital for an international provider of flooring products
- Represented a provider of processed minerals in connection with a series of term and revolving credit facilities in an approximate amount of $150 million provided by a syndicate of lenders to finance acquisitions, capital expenditures and working capital
- Represented a national bank in connection with a series of senior term and asset-based lending (ABL) revolving credit facilities for a poultry processor in an aggregate amount of approximately $65 million
- Represented a national bank in connection with an approximately $30 million warehouse credit facility to fund the acquisition of various financial assets, including structured settlements, litigation loans, lottery winnings and similar assets
- Represented a national bank in connection with an approximately $60 million non-recourse factoring facility for an international producer of resins and polyester fibers
- Represented a national bank in connection with an approximately $75 million credit facility to a wireless telecommunications company to finance the acquisition of wireless assets
- Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Indiana University South Bend, B.S.
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Banking and Finance Law, 2023, 2024; Securitization and Structured Finance Law, 2024