Louis Rouleau is a litigation attorney based in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office. Mr. Rouleau focuses his practice on a wide variety of cases involving complex business disputes, commercial real estate disputes (all classes of assets), breach of contract matters, class actions and lease enforcement actions.
Mr. Rouleau represents individuals and businesses, as plaintiffs and defendants, before state and federal courts across the country. He also has experience at handling mediations, arbitrations and trials, as well as negotiating cost-effective out-of-court settlements.
In addition, Mr. Rouleau has served as trial counsel and lead counsel for a broad range of businesses, including those in the real estate development, manufacturing and financial services industries. His cases often involve an important environmental component, including assessment of recognized environmental conditions (RECs), contamination cleanup and reporting requirements, and working with consulting and testifying experts to address such components. Mr. Rouleau has litigated and appealed cases in state and federal courts throughout the country on behalf of real estate investment trusts (REITS), national homebuilders and developers, national manufacturers of heavy machinery, and media and telecommunications companies.
Mr. Rouleau also has extensive knowledge of the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act and has successfully prosecuted several suits against foreign states on behalf of American victims of terrorism.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Rouleau was a litigation attorney for an international law firm in its Washington, D.C., office.
- Served as trial counsel for national housing developer in lawsuit against local government entities for Section 1983 violations, including violations of procedural and substantive due process, violations of Equal Protection Clause and unlawful takings under the Fifth Amendment
- Lead trial counsel for national construction equipment rental company in an indemnity dispute arising from termination of franchise agreements; successfully appealed from trial court order erroneously ordering company to mediate and arbitrate its dispute pursuant to an agreement to which the company was not a party
- Lead trial counsel for largest student loan service provider in four class actions alleging state and federal violations, including violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA); successfully eliminated claims and defeated nationwide discovery before reaching a global settlement
- National coordinating litigation team for nationwide lease-finance enforcement actions; litigated dozen of lawsuits in federal and state courts; successfully won 11 consolidated appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Lead counsel on dozens of commercial property disputes, coast-to-coast, representing publicly traded international real estate opportunity fund specializing in acquisition, development and management of commercial office buildings
- Successfully brought and tried lawsuit brought by fund against commercial tenant
- Provided strategic advice and risk assessment to international company regarding business decisions impacting product lines and distribution agreements
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D.
- University of Connecticut, B.A., International Trade, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- DRI, The Voice of the Defense Bar, 2014-Present
- Human Rights Campaign Fund, 2012-Present
- Minority Corporation Counsel Association (MCCA), 2012-Present