Joe Rudberg is a tax attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Mr. Rudberg focuses his practice on the international tax field.
Mr. Rudberg's career spans more than 45 years. In his tax practice, he represents multinationals – principally foreign clients and their U.S. affiliates – in the planning and implementation of international joint ventures, international construction projects, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), international expansion or contraction of operations and intellectual property (IP) ownership and licensing. He also advises foreign energy and financial services clients in planning for their entry into the U.S. market via foreign and domestic legal structures.
Mr. Rudberg recently has been involved in several migrations and restructurings of multinational companies, families and family offices, including associated wealth and succession planning for families with varying citizenships and tax residences. He also has significant experience with cross-border philanthropy and cross-border charitable organizations.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Rudberg has taught graduate-level law school courses on international tax. He also has served as an organizer and lecturer at various seminars and institutes dealing with international legal and tax issues, including Asociacion Nacional de Abogados de Empresa (ANADE), Canadian Petroleum Tax Society (CPTS), Dallas Bar Association (DBA), Practicing Law Institute (PLI), Southern Methodist University School of Law and the State Bar of Texas. Mr. Rudberg also helped organize the DBA's International Law Section and the Southwest Chapter of the United States-Mexico Chamber of Commerce (USMCOC).
- Duke University, B.A.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors
- American Bar Association, International Section; Tax Section; Business Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, International Section, Council Member, 2003-2012; Secretary and Treasurer, 2006-2007; Vice Chair, 2007-2008; Chair, 2008-2009; Tax Section; Business Law Section
- Dallas Bar Association, International Section; Tax Section; Business Law Section
- International Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association, Vice President for Dallas Region
- International Tax Association of Dallas
- Asociacion Nacional de Abogados de Empresa (ANADE) A.C., Nuevo Leon Section, First Foreign Member
- Supreme Court of Texas Task Force on Practice of International Law in Texas, Chair of Drafting Committee for new Rule XIII, 2010-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tax Law, 2010-2024
- The Legal 500 USA, Tax: International Tax, 2015-2021
- Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2003-2004
- Who's Who in Finance and Industry
- Who's Who in America