Sheila Shen is an attorney in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group of Holland & Knight's New York office. Ms. Shen is a trial and arbitration lawyer who has secured favorable outcomes for clients in state and federal court actions, as well as in alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Her clients have worked with Ms. Shen in complex commercial disputes, insurance and indemnification matters, class action defense and asset recovery litigation. She is well versed in all aspects of the litigation and arbitration processes, including drafting dispositive motions, deposing witnesses, managing complex eDiscovery, consulting with expert witnesses, witness preparation, and conducting trial and hearing proceedings.
Ms. Shen is active in the firm's pro bono and mentoring efforts, is a past coordinator of the New York Women's Initiative, and is co-chair of the Asian American Bar Association of New York's Young Lawyers Committee.
While attending Fordham University School of Law, Ms. Shen was a pro bono scholar in Fordham University School of Law's Consumer Litigation Clinic, where she represented disadvantaged clients in cases involving consumer credit, identity theft and novel issues under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. She also was an associate editor of the Fordham Journal of Corporate and Financial Law, associate editor of the Fordham Law Moot Court Board and the Kelly Competition Editor for the Brendan Moore Trial Advocacy Center, for which she remains an alumni mentor.
- Second chair in arbitration on behalf of a healthcare provider, securing multimillion-dollar award arising out of breach of joint venture agreement
- Member of trial team for foreign sovereign resulting in full defense verdict in federal bench trial
- As lead counsel, representation of a custodial parent in a child support action resulting in substantial order of support following trial
- Co-lead counsel in commercial insurance dispute appraisal hearing
- Assist in the representation of a social media platform in a cyber policy coverage dispute
- Representation of an international bank in federal action seeking recovery from insurer for losses arising from fraudulent credit draws submitted to bank
- Advise an aircraft insurer on coverage issues arising out a helicopter crash
- Assist in the defense of a commercial insurance broker in a dispute involving claims of negligent procurement, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- Lead associate defending a putative class action against a national bank related to electronic fund transfers
- Member of team defending higher education institutions in various putative class actions arising out of COVID-19
- Representation of an automobile finance company in defending a putative class action concerning access fees
- Defense and resolution of employment class action in a wage dispute
- Lead associate in various recovery actions brought on behalf of the Liquidators of Platinum Partners Value Arbitrage Fund LP
- As lead counsel, defense of an apparel manufacturer and its directors and officers in multiple creditor actions in federal and state court
- Representation of foreign entities in judgment enforcement actions seeking assets in the United States
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, B.S., Marketing and International Business
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Young Lawyers Committee, Asian American Bar Association of New York, Co-Chair
- Fordham Journal of Corporate and Financial Law, Associate Editor
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020