Jon Shoebotham focuses his practice on product liability, environmental litigation and commercial litigation. Three of the cases he has tried to jury verdict have been selected by The National Law Journal as among the most significant defense verdicts in the United States.
Mr. Shoebotham is praised for his "professional and competent work," according to The Legal 500 US.
- Summary judgment for a large electrical product manufacturer on a $23 million property damage and loss of use claim arising from a plant explosion, which involved allegations of manufacturing and design defects
- Obtained dismissal of a wrongful death claim and personal injury claims arising from a plant explosion
- Obtained a defense verdict for a railroad following a nine-week jury trial in which plaintiffs claimed occupational and environmental exposures to chemicals from a former railroad tie treatment facility
- Represented a large manufacturer in the defense of property damage and personal injury claims by numerous homeowners in a neighborhood adjacent to its former manufacturing facility
- Obtained a summary judgment against more than 200 plaintiffs seeking property damages based upon proximity to a Superfund site; decision was affirmed by the Texas Court of Appeals, and the Texas Supreme Court ultimately denied the plaintiffs' petition for review
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a large chemical manufacturer defending claims of personal injuries and property damages by residents who lived adjacent to a Superfund site; verdict was affirmed by the Texas Court of Appeals
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a large chemical manufacturer defending claims of occupational exposures to chemicals by more than 100 workers in a microelectronics facility
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a pharmaceutical company defending personal injury claims by two plaintiffs claiming personal injuries from use of a biologic product
- Represented a chemical manufacturer in defending property damage claims involving groundwater contamination
- Tried three cases to jury verdict that have been selected by The National Law Journal as among the most significant defense verdicts in the United States for the years 1990, 1992, and 1997
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law, J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Houston Bar Association; Environmental Section; Litigation Section
- American Bar Association; Litigation Section
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- DRI-The Voice of the Defense Bar; Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Committee
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Weekley Family YMCA, Past Board Member
- West University Little League, Past Board Member
- Top Rated Litigators, The American Lawyer, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Environmental, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, 2009-2022
- Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2003-2004, 2006-2020
- Top Lawyer, Houstonia Magazine, 2013-2015