Colin J. Smith is a partner in Holland & Knight's Tysons office and a member of the firm's Real Estate Section. Mr. Smith focuses his practice primarily on sophisticated commercial real estate transactions, including development, sales and acquisitions, financings and leasing.
Mr. Smith has extensive knowledge and experience with the leasing and operation of office buildings. His clients include landlords and developers and varied private and governmental entities that own and lease real property.
Recent Representative Matters
- Represented a governmental entity in the lease of approximately 230,000 square feet for its headquarters in Arlington, Va.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in the lease of approximately 180,000 square feet for its headquarters in Reston, Va.
- Negotiated the anchor tenant lease with a large New York-based law firm for a to-be-developed office building in Washington, D.C.
- Completed in less than four weeks an office lease of 162,000 square feet in Westfields, Va.
- Negotiated the ground lease for the development of a Class A office building one block from the White House
- Negotiated the ground lease for the development of a luxury hotel at the Wharf Project in Washington, D.C.
- Negotiated the Purchase Agreement, Development Agreement and Reciprocal Easement Agreement for the development of a 175-unit affordable housing building as part of a mixed-use development in Alexandria, Va.
- Negotiated the purchase, development and loan agreements for the development of a hotel on the waterfront in Alexandria, Va.
- New York Law School, J.D.
- Manhattanville College, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Greater Washington Commercial Association of Realtors
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- National Parking Association
- Real Estate Club of Washington, D.C., former President
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Real Estate, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America guide, Litigation - Real Estate, Real Estate Law, 2010, 2011, 2014-2021
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate; Construction, 2011