Doug Sweeney is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Boston office and a member of the firm's Labor, Employment and Benefits Group and Education Team. Mr. Sweeney's practice focuses on assisting private, public, educational and nonprofit employers with all aspects of labor and employment law and related litigation.
Mr. Sweeney has significant experience defending employers from allegations of discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, wage and hour violations and contract disputes at the administrative, state and federal levels. He conducts internal investigations regarding allegations of sexual misconduct, as well as employment and compliance matters.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Sweeney regularly counsels employers on a wide range of workplace issues, including terminations, hirings, employee handbooks, leave policies and compliance with federal, state and local laws. He also focuses much of his practice on advising employers on the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML) Act.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Sweeney was a litigation attorney at a national law firm in its Boston office. Previously, he was a law clerk for the Honorable David A. Lowy of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. During law school, Mr. Sweeney served as editor-in-chief of the Suffolk University Law Review.
- Represented a financial institution in summary judgment proceedings involving unfair business practices and unfair debt collection claims
- Assisted in guiding a healthcare company through internal investigation into harassment claims brought by former employee
- Defended a nonprofit lending institution against claims alleging breach of contract and unfair trade practice
- Assisted in the representation of a national retail chain in federal antitrust investigation
- Defended an educational institution against unfair trade practices and breach of contract claims
- Part of a team that conducted an independent investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct at an independent school
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., summa cum laude
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., Journalism and History
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Ones to Watch, Litigation, 2020