Whistleblowers and the False Claims Act: What Companies Need to Know
Practising Law Institute, San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA 94105
False Claims Act Defense attorneys Vince Farhat and Kristina Azlin will co-chair PLI's Whistleblowers and the False Claims Act 2012: What you Need to Know seminar.
The half-day seminar will cover FCA enforcement from various perspectives, such as crafting corporate compliance plans to limit FCA liability, interacting with government prosecutors and agents during FCA investigations, navigating the intricacies of settlement with the government, and recent developments in FCA jurisprudence that impact companies.
Mr. Farhat and Ms. Azlin will speak on a panel titled "Brief FCA Overview: Liability, Defenses and Qui Tam Actions." They will discuss the following:
- origin and development of the Federal False Claims Act
- elements and defenses
- qui tam provisions
Mr. Farhat will also speak on a panel titled "Prescription for Limiting FCA Exposure: Comprehensive Compliance and Ethics Programs."
- requirements to have a compliance system
- benefits of an effective compliance system
- disadvantages of not having an effective compliance system
- hallmarks of an effective compliance system and what you can do to get there