Holland & Knight at the Seventh Annual Native American Human Resources Conference in Anaheim, CA (January 24)
Holland & Knight Native American Law Group Associate John H. Haney will present at the Seventh Annual Native American Human Resources Conference in Anaheim, CA on January 24, 2017. Mr. Haney’s presentation is entitled "The Importance of Comprehensive Employment Policies and Agreements."
Tribal leaders and human resources managers have many things to consider when drafting employment policies and agreements that (1) reflect applicable laws, traditions, and customs; (2) clearly communicate established employment practices and procedures; (3) fairly promote and protect the interests of the tribe or tribal enterprise; and (4) support employee morale. Mr. Haney will provide an overview of this process, and will discuss the importance of:
- Determining what federal, tribal, and/or state labor and employment laws apply
- Monitoring relevant case law
- Monitoring relevant legislation
- Regularly reviewing and updating employee handbooks to reflect current laws, traditions, and customs, and to clearly communicate established employment practices and procedures
- Training supervisors on established employment practices and procedures
- Developing employment contracts that support the specific needs of the tribe or tribal enterprise, such as protecting trade secrets, confidential information, property, and customer relationships
For a copy of the PowerPoint presentation, please contact John H. Haney.