Kevin J. Ashe is an attorney in Holland & Knight's San Francisco office and a member of the firm's West Coast Land Use and Environmental Group. Mr. Ashe's practice focuses on energy regulatory, environmental and land use law, with a particular emphasis on the permitting, development and disposition of traditional and renewable energy projects.
Mr. Ashe counsels clients on issues arising under federal and California environmental law, including the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Clean Water Act (CWA), Endangered Species Act (ESA), Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), Coastal Zone Management Act (CZMA) and California Coastal Act. He has substantial experience performing environmental due diligence in connection with equity and asset purchases, mergers and financings involving energy, manufacturing and technology companies, as well as negotiating environmental provisions in transactional documents.
Mr. Ashe also advises clients on energy regulatory issues involving the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
In addition to his energy and environmental practice, Mr. Ashe represents pro bono clients in criminal record expungement cases in California.
In law school, Mr. Ashe spent semesters as an extern in the CPUC's Administrative Law Judges Division and a law clerk for the California Attorney General's Office, Natural Resources Section.
- Represented a Japanese energy company regarding environmental liabilities in connection with the acquisition of a 125 MW natural gas-fired power plant in Michigan
- Performed environmental and land use due diligence in connection with developer's equity interest acquisition in the landmark Treasure Island Redevelopment Project in San Francisco
- Assisted a solar company in the negotiation of environmental provisions in the refinancing of a 150 MW solar facility located in California's Imperial Valley
- Represented a developer of the 802-foot, $680 million high-rise tower in San Francisco, specifically with land use issues and purchase and sale negotiations for residential units within the project
- Counseled a large energy company on issues arising under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), California Coastal Act and Coastal Zone Management Act (CZMA) in connection with the decommissioning of onshore natural gas infrastructure and offshore oil rigs
- Counseled a solar developer with issues arising under the Federal Power Act and Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) Program, and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) filings for more than 12 community solar projects in Massachusetts
- Represented Colorado natural gas marketer in preparing and filing protest in a proceeding before the Colorado Public Utilities Commission
- University of California Hastings College of the Law, J.D., cum laude
- Fairfield University, B.A., Political Science, Environmental Studies, cum laude
- California Lawyers Association, Environmental Law Section, 2016-2019
- The Bar Association of San Francisco, Environmental Law Section, 2016-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, San Francisco Environmental Law Ones to Watch, 2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- The Burton Awards Program, Finest Law Firm Writers, 2020