Jacob A. Barrera is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's San Francisco office and a member of the firm's West Coast Litigation Group and the national Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry Group. Mr. Barrera focuses his practice on regulatory compliance matters and litigation that develops from them, particularly in the healthcare and alcohol beverage space. He is a versatile practitioner with experience in contract disputes, bankruptcy and entertainment law matters.
Before joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Barrera interned for a California-based Medicare Advantage health insurance company and the U.S. Department of Justice's Office of Vaccine Litigation in Washington, D.C.
Prior to law school, Mr. Barrera worked in a variety of roles related to public health and healthcare policy for federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), academic research institutions and healthcare nonprofits, as well as LGBT healthcare, research, and advocacy organizations. Mr. Barrera has extensive knowledge of the U.S. healthcare system.
In the community, Mr. Barrera focuses his efforts on mentoring first-generation and Latino/a/x/e students as well as issues related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- University of California College of the Law, San Francisco, J.D., Concentration in Health Law and Policy
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, M.P.H., Health Policy
- Pomona College, B.A.
- Harvard Latino Alumni Alliance (HLAA), Co-President, 2020-Present
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA)
- American Bar Association
- Hastings Law Review, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Editor, 2021-2022
- 10,000 Degrees, San Francisco Advisory Board, 2023-Present
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Legislation & Administrative Regulation, 2020
- Leadership Award, University of California Hastings College of the Law, 2020, 2021