Jonathan Blum is a nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Mr. Blum's experience includes assisting nonprofit leaders in managing their legal matters on a broad array of issues affecting charities, foundations, trade and professional associations, advocacy groups and other nonprofit organizations. Mr. Blum recognizes the importance of concentrating on the key issues affecting clients and moving quickly to identify practical legal options in order for clients to stay mission-focused and make informed decisions.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Blum worked in the nonprofit practice group for a national Am Law 100 firm in Dallas, where he served as counsel and later as shareholder. He also spent nearly seven years serving as in-house counsel for tax-exempt organizations such as a national breast cancer foundation and a private family foundation. In addition, Mr. Blum served as a transactional attorney for an international law firm headquartered in New York City. He previously served as an adjunct professor at Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law.
Mr. Blum is a frequent speaker on current developments for nonprofit organizations.
In addition to his law and undergraduate degrees, Mr. Blum has completed course work at the Universidad Torcuato Di Tella in Argentina and Universidad de Carabobo in Venezuela.
- Represented nonprofit organizations in significant corporate governance issues, including board conflicts and leadership transitions
- Served as interim general counsel for large public charity during transition of in-house counsel lead
- Represented newly formed organizations establishing organizational structure and obtaining recognition of tax-exempt status
- Represented large charities in various legal matters regarding fundraising, including commercial co-ventures and cause marketing
- Represented a nonprofit organization in connection with a merger with two other nonprofits to form a statewide organization
- Represented a private foundation in the development of policies and procedures for grant making and tax compliance
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., with special honors
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Regional Chamber, Leadership Dallas Alumni Council, Chair, 2023
- Leadership Dallas, Class of 2016
- Jewish Family Service of Greater Dallas, Board Member, 2020-Present
- Ann & Nate Levine Academy, Board Member, 2015-Present
- Communities Foundation of Texas, Advisory Council Member
- Social Venture Partners, Dallas
- Junior League of Dallas, Community Advisory Board Member
- Dallas Business Journal, Rising Star, Corporate Counsel Awards, 2009
- Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year, Dallas Bar Association and Legal Aid of Northwest Texas, 2004
- Texas Monthly, Rising Star, 2005, 2006