Brian C. Bunger is a land use and environment attorney in Holland & Knight's San Francisco office. Mr. Bunger has more than 30 years of experience in environmental, air and climate law, with a particular focus on environmental administrative law and litigation.
Mr. Bunger previously served more than 20 years as counsel to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), where he was responsible for all aspects of the legal function for the district that is responsible for attainment and maintenance of federal and state ambient air quality standards, and regulates stationary sources of air pollution in the nine counties of California's San Francisco Bay Area. In that role, he provided counsel to the air district's board of directors and its appointed advisory council. Mr. Bunger oversaw a team of eight attorneys that handled counseling, enforcement cases and litigation, as well as managing a team of professionals that handled enforcement cases, public records and provided administrative support. During his time at the air district, Mr. Bunger helped create, was a board member of, and counsel to, a foundation that supports the air district's mission.
In addition, Mr. Bunger has vast experience handling litigation matters, including arguing cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts.
Earlier in his career, he was an associate at a law firm in its San Francisco office, where he focused primarily on complex and environmental litigation and counseling matters involving hazardous waste, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Superfund, toxic torts and site cleanup, closure and monitoring, and related insurance coverage issues.
During law school, Mr. Bunger was a member and note editor for the Hastings Law Journal.
- University of California Hastings College of the Law, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., Political Science, with high honors
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- California Lawyers Association, Environmental Law Section, Public Law Section, Litigation Section, 2000-Present
- Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA), President, 2021; Vice President, 2019; Board of Directors, 2018-Present; Finance Committee, Chair, 2019
- California Air Pollution Control Officers Association (CAPCOA) 2000-2021; Attorneys Committee Chair, 2004-2006