Ames Davis is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office. For more than 40 years, business defendants in complex, high-stakes litigation have sought out Mr. Davis to guide them through the trial and dispute resolution process. From difficult probate matters to complex securities litigation, clients can trust his sound judgment and leadership.
Part of what makes Mr. Davis such an effective counselor and trial attorney is his intellectual curiosity. Beyond the legal issues at stake, he immerses himself in the business or industry of the client. Litigation is rarely enjoyable, but Mr. Davis eases the stress clients feel during the litigation process by demonstrating that he understands the client's point of view and frames his advice in understandable terms.
His experience in complex securities litigation has led a number of publicly traded companies to hire him as special outside counsel to audit committees in connection with internal investigations relating to securities and accounting issues.
Mr. Davis served as chairman of Waller Landsen Dortch & Davis from 1995 to 2003 as well as its general counsel. He also served as the chief justice for a special Tennessee Supreme Court that considered the constitutionality of a statute for electing Tennessee appellate judges, and as an Assistant United States Attorney from 1969-1972.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- Amherst College, B.A., with honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Tennessee Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Nashville Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Supreme Court Historical Society, Founder and Fellow
- Former lecturer in the Economics and Business Administration Department, Vanderbilt University
- Past Member, joint government/education task force of the Nashville Chamber of Commerce for improvement of the Metropolitan School System
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, Alumni Board, Former Member
- Matthew 25, Inc., Founder, Former Board Member
- Former Davidson County Election Commissioner
- Christ Episcopal Church in Nashville, Past Senior Warden
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, 1987-2024