Inclusion in Action
At Holland & Knight, we seek to further develop an organization and a culture where all talented individuals – including those traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession – can have, and can see, a path to long-term success.
We are committed to these efforts because diverse and inclusive teams reflect the world we serve and produce better results for our clients.
Diversity Initiative Fast Facts
Holland Knight's 2019 Impact Report
Sign up for Holland & Knight Notifications
Holland & Knight's commitment to diversity and inclusion starts from the top. Our Managing Partner, Steven Sonberg, and Chair of the Directors Committee (the firm's highest policymaking body), Kelly-Ann Cartwright, both are members of the firm's Diversity Council. Mr. Sonberg is also a member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), an organization of chief legal officers of major corporations and managing partners of major law firms dedicated to improving diversity in the legal profession.
Our Diversity Council is responsible for leading the firm's diversity and inclusion strategy and initiatives. The Council is led by Litigation Partner Tiffani Lee, who also serves as the firm's Diversity Partner. With representatives from each local office and the chairs of the firm's Affinity Groups, the Council directs the firm's diversity and inclusion efforts.
Local Office Diversity Committees
Our efforts to build an inclusive organization are found at all levels and in all offices. Most of our offices have a local office Diversity Committee, comprised of both lawyers and staff, as well as a local Women's Initiative group. These committees devise and implement programs and community outreach unique to their locations. The leaders of our local Diversity Committees meet regularly with the Diversity Council to discuss issues and share information on their various events, sponsorships and best practices. Similarly, the local coordinators of the Women's Initiative meet regularly with the national chair of the Women's Initiative to exchange ideas and discuss current issues and best practices.
Learn more about Holland & Knight's strategic recruiting efforts by visiting our Careers page.
Through the firm’s seven Affinity Groups, our diverse lawyers and staff are able to address the distinct challenges and opportunities that arise as a result of our differences. By promoting and encouraging members, the Affinity Groups help to sustain an environment that is inclusive and supportive, which fosters both personal and professional success. Our Affinity Groups have helped to distinguish Holland & Knight through the visibility and opportunity extended to members.
Inclusion in Action Newsletter
Hispanic Heritage Newsletter
Holland & Knight is committed to helping our attorneys achieve success at the firm.
Launched in 2003, the Rising Stars® program was developed by the firm's Women's Initiative. The firm annually selects a group of talented women lawyers to participate in this dynamic and intensive program of leadership, marketing, management and professional skills development, professional mentoring and experiential learning. Graduates of the program have become leaders of the firm. Learn more by visiting our Women's Initiative page.
Holland & Knight believes in the value of engaging with organizations outside of our law firm in an effort to build a more inclusive profession. We sponsor and participate in local, regional and national diversity associations, conferences and events, including:
- National Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Charting Your Own Course
Since 2017, 50 percent of our newly promoted partners are diverse, based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender or veteran status
Our Directors Committee – the firm's highest policy making body – is 41 percent diverse, based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender or veteran status
Eight of our U.S. offices – Boston, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Portland, San Francisco and Tallahassee – are led by diverse Executive Partners
Rating on corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ workplace equality
Ranked in the Top 30 for most diverse equity partners
Firm ranked first for Hispanic partners in the 2020 Diversity Scorecard
- 2019 Bank of America Diversity and Inclusion Award: Holland & Knight was selected from more than 200 law firms to receive Bank of America's Diversity and Inclusion Award, recognizing our focused attention on the training, development, and promotion of diverse attorneys and for consistently staffing Bank of America matters with diverse legal teams.
- Mansfield Certified Plus: Recognized as one of only 51 firms to earn the Mansfield Certified Plus 2019 designation where women, minority, and LGBTQ lawyers represent at least 30 percent of firm leadership roles and committees.
- HNBA 2019 Corporate Partner of the Year: Recognized by the Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA) for our longstanding support of the organization and our unwavering commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Best Law Firm for Minority Partners: We were recognized in the 2019 Law 360 Diversity Snapshot in the Top 5 for "Best Law Firms for Minority Partners."
- Best Law Firms for Women: We have been named one of the "Best Law Firms for Women" by Working Mother magazine for four consecutive years.
- Most Pioneering Firm for Female Lawyers: We were recognized at the inaugural Chambers USA Diversity & Inclusion Awards as the "Most Pioneering Firm for Female Lawyers," celebrating the firm's commitment to increasing the opportunities for, and representation of, female lawyers. Holland & Knight was also shortlisted for "Outstanding Firm for Furthering Diversity and Inclusion."
- Top 10 Female Friendly Firm: We were named a "Top 10 Female Friendly Firm" by 2018 Yale Law Women.
- 2020 Excellence in Service Award: Recognized by the NALP/Street Law Diversity Pipeline Program for the firm's exceptional community service in its commitment to the Street Law Program.
- Outstanding Service Award: The only law firm to receive the ABA’s Military Pro Bono Project Outstanding Service Award every year since its inception in 2012. Additionally, more than 30 attorneys from Holland & Knight have received the individual award for outstanding service.
- Best Firm for Diversity: Holland & Knight was named "Best Firm for Diversity" in North America by the 2018 Americas Women in Business Law Awards in recognition of the firm's culture of diversity.