Clifford "Cliff" DeGroot is a business attorney in Holland & Knight's Portland office. Mr. DeGroot focuses his practice on counseling startups, emerging growth companies and restaurants. He has extensive experience forming and structuring corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs) and limited partnerships.
Mr. DeGroot frequently advises clients on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), corporate governance, and private placements of convertible notes, simple agreements for future equity (SAFEs), preferred stock and LLC interests, as well as limited partnership interests to angel investors, venture capital groups and private equity funds.
In addition, Mr. DeGroot is a certified public accountant (inactive), with a solid background in accounting and finance, having served as the senior financial officer for multiple companies and as an auditor for an international accounting firm.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. DeGroot was a corporate attorney for a national law firm in its Portland office.
- University of Oregon School of Law, J.D.
- University of Oregon, B.S., Accounting and Finance
- Oregon State Bar Association
- ReFIT (Remodeling for Independence Together), Past Board Member
- Law and Entrepreneurship Students Association (LESA), University of Oregon School of Law, Past Co-Chair and Board Member
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2020-Present
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Corporate/M&A Law (Oregon), 2021-2022; Up and Coming, Corporate/M&A, 2016-2018
- Quarterfinalist, National Tax Moot Court Competition, University of Oregon School of Law, 2005
- Regional Mediation Competition, University of Oregon School of Law, 2004