Abigail M. Flanagan is a real estate attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office. Ms. Flanagan represents purchasers and sellers of commercial properties on development projects, assemblages, and portfolio sales and acquisitions. She negotiates purchase and sale agreements, manages due diligence review teams, addresses title and survey-related issues, and negotiates loan and private equity investor-related documentation. She also orchestrates closing logistics.
Ms. Flanagan's borrower-side financing practice includes the representation of clients in connection with financing the acquisition of real property and the construction of improvements, as well as the refinancing of existing developments. Her practice also extends to development, where she negotiates easement agreements, restrictive covenants and declarations.
In the area of real estate leasing, Ms. Flanagan negotiates leases and lease amendments on behalf of landlords and tenants for general office, warehouse, retail, medical, industrial and manufacturing facilities, as well as ancillary lease documentation, including subordination, nondisturbance, attornment agreements, landlord waivers and lease guaranties.
Her experience also includes lender-side financing, where she has represented a variety of banks, finance companies and institutional lenders in documenting, negotiating and performing due diligence for loans secured by a variety of collateral, including shopping malls, apartment buildings, restaurants and entertainment complexes, hotels and office projects.
Ms. Flanagan also has experience providing real estate assistance in merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions, including providing real estate-related comments to stock or asset purchase agreements and disclosure schedules, in addition to reviewing real estate due diligence for owned and leased properties.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Flanagan worked for a multinational law firm in its Chicago office.
- Represented a Charleston-based real estate investment company in the acquisition of build-for-rent single family home communities in Florida and Georgia
- Represented a Los Angeles-based real estate investment company in the acquisition of a mixed use shopping center and hotel at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco
- Represented a real estate investment trust in connection with the acquisition of a shopping mall in Lakeland, Florida, and a portfolio of shopping centers located in the Chicago suburbs
- Represented a Chicago-based real estate developer in connection with the acquisition of real property for development of multifamily residential and hotel properties located in Miami, Denver and Chicago
- Represented a Chicago-based real estate developer in connection with senior and mezzanine loans totaling $205 million for the refinance of its luxury apartment high-rise project located in the Streeterville neighborhood in Chicago
- Represented a St. Louis-based student housing real estate developer in connection with real estate assemblage acquisitions in Boise, Idaho; Columbus, Ohio; Tampa, Florida; Knoxville, Tennessee; and West Lafayette, Indiana
- Co-led representation in the sale of a 15-property industrial portfolio for $102 million
- Co-led a diligence review team representing a real estate investment trust (REIT) in connection with the prospective acquisition of a medical office portfolio during the bid process that ultimately sold for $2.8 billion
- Assisted a team in representing the seller of a 387-room landmark hotel and casino in San Juan, Puerto Rico, for $71 million
- Represented a real estate developer in obtaining a $205 million senior loan and a $100 million mezzanine loan in connection with the refinancing of a 68-story, 348-unit residential high-rise building located in Chicago
- Represented a St. Louis-based real estate developer in connection with construction financing for student housing developments located in Eugene, Oregon; Columbus, Ohio; and Boise, Idaho
- Represented an institutional lender in the refinancing of a shopping mall located at 900 North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, in a $250 million loan transaction
- Represented a bank in connection with the acquisition financing by a leading Chicago developer for an office building portfolio in the Fulton Market district
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., cum laude
- Membership Committee, Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Chicago, 2019-Present
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Appellate Advocacy, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2006
- Hansard Society Scholar, 2001