Benjamin A. Genn
Benjamin Genn is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office. Mr. Genn is admitted to practice in Washington, D.C., and Maryland.
Mr. Genn focuses on complex commercial disputes and government investigations in all stages of state and federal court litigation. He is well versed in handling business litigation, class action litigation, regulatory issues, government enforcement, internal investigations and white collar crime matters for individuals, organizations and small to large corporations in a wide array of matters involving breach of contract, allegations of fraud, real estate disputes, false advertising, and unfair, deceptive, and abusive trade practices.
In addition, Mr. Genn is experienced in advocacy at trial and motions hearings, navigating complex discovery disputes, taking depositions, arguing motions and negotiating settlements.
Mr. Genn previously clerked for the Honorable Steven G. Salant of the Montgomery County Circuit Court in Maryland. During his clerkship, Mr. Genn drafted bench memoranda, researched and drafted judicial opinions, and prepared the court for criminal and civil bench and jury trials regarding a variety of disputes, including breach of contract, insurance litigation, employment litigation and business torts. Mr. Genn also served as a judicial intern for Chief Judge Anna Blackburne-Rigsby of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Genn worked in the office of a prominent international law firm, where his practice focused on white collar defense, securities litigation, government investigations and complex commercial litigation.
During law school, Mr. Genn served as a notes and comment editor for the American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy & the Law.
- Achieved a directed verdict at trial in a large university client's favor as first-chair at breach-of-contract action involving a commercial lease dispute
- Successfully represented a large e-commerce company at numerous trials in breach of contract actions in state court
- Assisted companies and individuals in defending and bringing claims for fraud, breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and enforcement of non-solicitation and non-compete agreements
- Represented corporations, real estate developers and other business entities in breach of contract litigation
- Defended multiple companies, including a large payment processor, in Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigations involving allegations of deceptive, unfair and abusive business practices, including those with concerns over substantiation of advertising claims and marketing practices on social media
- Defended a target of a consumer protection investigation conducted by the attorney general for the District of Columbia
- Represented clients in response to government investigations by the FTC, CFPB, U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and U.S. Department of State (DOS)
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- College of Charleston, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- The First Tee Young Professionals Council, Board Member
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2017, 2019-2021