Cynthia A. "Cindy" Gierhart is a Washington, D.C., litigation attorney whose practice is focused on media, trademark and entertainment law.
Additionally, Ms. Gierhart has extensive experience representing developers in zoning appeals before the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, as well as engaging in an all aspects of general commercial litigation, including numerous contract and property disputes.
Ms. Gierhart has also defended clients responding to government investigations and litigation arising out of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), including litigation involving employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs).
Prior to attending law school, Ms. Gierhart worked for eight years as a newspaper reporter and editor, project manager in book publishing and freelance book editor. She brings this perspective to her work advising clients on First Amendment issues and negotiating agreements for companies and individuals involved in book publishing, filmmaking and podcast production.
Media, Entertainment, Copyright and Trademark
- Represented Oscar-nominated documentary filmmakers against a right-of-publicity claim, successfully having the case dismissed on demurrer
- Successfully defended a blogger against a defamation action in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, resulting in dismissal
- Advise clients on accessing records via the federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and state open records laws; appeal adverse FOIA decisions
- Represent news media in an unsealing action, seeking access to judicial records
- Engage in extensive trademark litigation in federal district court, as well as domestic trademark registration and prosecution and global trademark clearances
- Assisted in the defense of a copyright infringement action, successfully having the case dismissed on a motion for summary judgment
- Negotiate book, film and podcast agreements
- Teach media law course as an adjunct professor at American University
Land Use, Zoning Appeals
- Represent developers in appellate challenges to Zoning Commission approval of planned unit developments (PUDs) in the District of Columbia
- Argued in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals on behalf of a hotel owner appealing a Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) decision regarding renovations
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Gierhart clerked for the Honorable John Ramsey Johnson in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. She also worked as a legal fellow with the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and at the American Association for Justice.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University for Peace, M.A., International Law and the Settlement of Disputes
- University of Illinois, B.S., Print Journalism
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- International Trademark Association, Right of Publicity Committee, 2020-2021
- American Bar Association, Forum on Communications Law
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Arts, Entertainment, Media and Sports Law Community, Co-Chair
- American University International Law Review, Editor in Chief
- Order of the Coif