Michael M. Gropper is a trial lawyer in the firm's Jacksonville office whose practice focuses on complex civil litigation in state and federal court. Mr. Gropper has experience representing clients in cases spanning a broad range of substantive law – including class actions, product liability, business torts, insurance, contracts, negligence and other commercial disputes – across a variety of industries.
Mr. Gropper frequently handles cases and counsels clients regarding contract disputes, including cases involving service agreements, rights to commissions, non-competition agreements and indemnity demands. In addition, Mr. Gropper has substantial class action experience representing plaintiffs and defendants. He has assisted plaintiffs in obtaining class certification in significant cases brought under the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA) and Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (MMWA), and he has successfully defended clients from class claims brought under a variety of state and federal statutes.
Mr. Gropper also has experience in complex product liability litigation involving an array of products, including in the automotive, telecommunications and heavy equipment industries. Moreover, Mr. Gropper has extensive experience with state laws that regulate the conduct of heavy equipment manufacturers, distributors and dealers. He advises and represents clients in controversies involving the Florida Outdoor Power Equipment Manufacturers, Distributors, Wholesalers, and Servicing Dealers Act (Outdoor Power Act) as well as Florida's Agriculture Equipment Manufacturers and Dealers Act (Agriculture Act).
Mr. Gropper served as a federal law clerk to the Honorable Brian J. Davis of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. In law school, Mr. Gropper graduated first in his class and was a member of the Administrative Law Review.
- Represented a class of approximately two million nationwide consumers in Florida state and federal courts in multi-million dollar class actions against a manufacturer of sunglasses, alleging claims under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA)
- Defended a Florida hospital in connection with a putative class action asserting claims under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act (MSP Act); obtained precedent-setting decision dismissing the MSP Act claim
- Represented a heavy equipment company against claims of negligence and personal injury in connection with the operation of a crane; obtained successful defense verdict after a two-week jury trial
- Defended telecommunications company in wrongful death and personal injury actions against claims for strict product liability and negligence in connection with its computer-aided dispatch system
- Defended a rental car company from negligence claims, including wrongful death, as a result of a motor vehicle accident; obtained successful dismissal of the claims under the Graves Amendment
- Represented a real estate development company in connection with a lease dispute involving a shopping center; obtained successful final judgment after bench trial
- Defended a real estate brokerage and broker in a dispute over the proper payment of commissions resulting from the sale of a luxury condominium; obtained complete dismissal of all claims
- Defended banking institution against various claims involving alleged erroneous wire transfers, check fraud and fraudulent electronic transfers, including claims governed by Article 4 and 4A of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Defended banking institution against claims of fraudulent misrepresentation, negligent misrepresentation and negligence in connection with a business loan
- Defended a nationwide distributor of heavy equipment from claims brought by one of its dealers under the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA), the Florida Outdoor Power Equipment Manufacturers, Distributors, Wholesalers, and Servicing Dealers Act (Outdoor Power Act) and Florida's Agriculture Equipment Manufacturers and Dealers Act (Agriculture Act)
- Represented a heavy equipment company in an insurance dispute regarding the availability of insurance coverage for an underlying personal injury lawsuit; obtained successful summary judgment finding insurance coverage
- Represented a hospital and pediatric group in a lawsuit for alleged violations of the Lanham Act, Sherman Act, conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference and breach of contract; obtained successful summary judgment and dismissal of the claims
- Represented manufacturer of specialty lubricants in false advertising case under the Lanham Act involving advertising for specialty pipe gel products used in the refrigeration industry
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of North Florida, B.S., Communications, magna cum laude
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Jacksonville Jaguars JAX MVP, Inaugural Class, 2016
- Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, 2014-2015
- Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter
- Merit Selection Panel to Consider the Re-Appointment of U.S. Magistrate Judge Patricia D. Barksdale, Court-Appointed Member
- ABA Military Pro Bono Outstanding Services Award, 2014
- Order of the Coif
- Gillett Prize for the Highest GPA in Law School Graduating Class, 2013
- Mussey Prize for the Highest GPA During Final Year of Law School, 2013
- Administrative Law Review Senior Staff Member of the Year, 2013