Michael M. Gropper is a trial lawyer in the firm's Jacksonville office. Mr. Gropper focuses his practice on high-stakes, complex civil litigation in state and federal court. He has represented clients in cases spanning a broad range of substantive law, including class actions, product liability, business torts, insurance, contract claims, negligence, and other commercial disputes. He has litigated cases across a variety of industries from initial demand through final judgment.
Mr. Gropper has experience both prosecuting and defending claims, including jury and bench trial experience. He frequently handles cases and counsels clients regarding contract claims, including rights to commissions, commercial lease disputes, non-competition actions, indemnity demands, and other contract cases. Mr. Gropper has prosecuted or defended class actions under the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Medicare Secondary Payer Act, Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, and Telephone Consumer Protection Act. In addition, he has litigated to judgment cases raising a variety of commercial torts and federal and state statutory claims. Mr. Gropper also has experience assisting media organizations and outlets with First Amendment and access issues, including defamation claims and public records disputes.
Mr. Gropper is a former federal law clerk to the Honorable Brian J. Davis, U.S. District Judge, Middle District of Florida. Mr. Gropper graduated first of 444 in his law school class and was a member of the Administrative Law Review.
- Represented consumers at the trial level in multi-million dollar class actions against a manufacturer of sunglasses, alleging claims under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA).
- Represented a Florida hospital in connection with a putative class action asserting claims under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act (MSP Act); obtained precedent-setting decision dismissing the MSP Act claim
- Represented a hospital and pediatric group in lawsuit for alleged violations of the Lanham Act, Sherman Act, conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference and breach of contract; obtained successful summary judgment and dismissal of the claims
- Defended a rental car company from negligence claims, including wrongful death, as a result of a motor vehicle accident; obtained successful dismissal of the claims under the Graves Amendment
- Represented a heavy equipment company in an insurance dispute regarding the availability of insurance coverage for an underlying personal injury lawsuit; obtained successful summary judgment finding insurance coverage
- Represented a heavy equipment company against claims of negligence and personal injury in connection with the operation of a crane; obtained successful defense verdict after a two-week jury trial
- Represented a real estate development company in connection with a lease dispute involving a shopping center; obtained successful final judgment after bench trial
- Represented manufacturer of specialty lubricants in false advertising case under the Lanham Act involving advertising for specialty pipe gel products used in the refrigeration industry
- Defended telecommunications company and news station against claims for defamation in connection with a news article; obtained successful summary judgment
- Intervened on behalf of various media outlets in high-profile criminal cases in an effort to obtain public records and access to the court
- Defended banking institution against various claims involving alleged erroneous wire transfers, check fraud and fraudulent electronic transfers, including claims governed by Article 4 and 4A of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Defended telecommunications company against claims for product liability in connection with its computer-aided dispatch system
- Defended web technology company against claims for copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation and violations of the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA)
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of North Florida, B.S., Communications, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Jacksonville Jaguars JAX MVP, Inaugural Class, 2016
- Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, 2014-2015
- Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter
- ABA Military Pro Bono Outstanding Services Award, 2014
- Order of the Coif
- Gillett Prize for the Highest GPA in Law School Graduating Class, 2013
- Mussey Prize for the Highest GPA During Final Year of Law School, 2013
- Administrative Law Review Senior Staff Member of the Year, 2013