Leonie W. Huang is an intellectual property and litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office. She is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Group and Technology & Telecommunications Industry Sector Group (ISG). Ms. Huang embraces Holland & Knight's commitment to diversity and inclusion, and is a leading member of the Technology & Telecommunication ISG's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion subcommittee.
Ms. Huang practices in the areas of intellectual property (IP) and complex commercial litigation, including patent and technology-driven litigation and business tort defense. Her experience includes numerous patent litigations, as well as representing clients in trademark and brand disputes, copyright, licensing, contractual disputes and related business tort litigation. She works with clients in a wide range of technologies, product areas and industries – ranging from consumer-driven technologies, services and goods, such as wireless communications, consumer electronics, fashion, retail goods, and LED technologies, as well as biotech such as pharmaceuticals, biologics and medical devices.
Ms. Huang also assists clients with IP strategies during research, product and brand development, as well as in connection with mergers, acquisitions and financing deals, including contingent-liability-related insurance. Her work includes advising on potential patent infringement, trademark, copyright and other IP analysis, as well as license and contract drafting and review and IP due diligence and related analysis.
Prior representative experience includes:
- representing pharmaceutical companies in multidefendant Hatch-Waxman patent litigations, including as part of the trial teams and on appeal
- representing a licensor in a multimillion-dollar licensing dispute involving patented therapies
- representing wireless carriers in patent litigation involving self-optimizing networks and navigation technology, including as part of a team that obtained an order for summary judgement of noninfringement in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- representing a patentee manufacturer as part of its national patent counsel team in multiple concurrent patent litigations involving LED technologies, including assisting with Markman hearings and related briefings
- clearance opinions relating to medical device patents in advance of a key product launch
- drafting license and collaboration agreements relating to new technologies
- evaluating complex contract interpretations in the context of contingent risk analysis
As part of her commitment to pro bono work, Ms. Huang focuses on assisting in the area of criminal defense, asylum cases and counseling pro bono clients on IP matters.
Ms. Huang is an active member of the New York State Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section, where she serves as a member of the executive committee, the diversity subcommittee and has been a program co-chair for the IP section annual meetings since 2019.
Ms. Huang is committed to diversity initiatives in the legal profession, IP and in the tech industry. As part of that work, she has assisted in drafting the New York State Bar Association Intellectual Property Law (IPL) Section's diversity plan and moderated the diversity and inclusion panel at the IPL Section's 2020 Annual Meeting. The panel, "Dispelling the Diversity Myth and Overcoming Implicit Bias in Tech and IP," focused on strategies for improving diversity and equity in the tech industry and addressing risks in data driven technologies.
In addition to serving as a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion subcommittee member for the firm's Technology & Telecommunications ISG, Ms. Huang is a member of the New York Office's Diversity Committee, the firm's Women's Initiative and the Asian/Pacific Islander Affinity Group. Ms. Huang also serves as a chair of the New York Office's Associate Venture into Fall networking event.
Prior to attending law school, Ms. Huang worked at the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts as a budget analyst for the federal courts. She served as an analyst and support staff to the Judicial Conference Budget Committee in the areas of Defender Services and Probation and Pretrial Services.
In law school, Ms. Huang was awarded the Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award for her work at the Fordham Law Criminal Defense Clinic. She also received the "Class of 1911" Award for the best essay submitted by a student in the graduating class on a legal subject designated by the dean.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- American University, MPA
- Georgetown University, B.S., Honors Certificate in International Business Diplomacy
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- All State Courts in New York
- All State Courts in New Jersey
- New York State Bar Association, Executive Committee Member, 2018-Present; Diversity Subcommittee Member, 2020-Present; Spring Meeting Co-Chair, 2019; Fall Meeting Co-Chair, 2021; Annual Meeting Co-Chair, 2019-2022
- Fordham Law Review, Vol. 80, Notes & Articles Editor, 2011-2012
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Services All-Star, 2019
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2019-2022