Janene Jackson is a partner in Holland & Knight's Public Policy & Regulation Group who utilizes her extensive experience to help clients navigate the legislative and regulatory aspects of local government. Having worked in all branches of the government of the District of Columbia, Ms. Jackson brings a 360-degree approach to assisting clients with their government relations and lobbying needs, business development interests and legal representations in administrative proceedings.
Ms. Jackson's recent successes include:
- Securing more than $1 million in payment for services performed from the government of the District of Columbia
- Repealing unfavorable local tax laws
- Negotiating redevelopment agreements with the government of the District of Columbia
- Negotiating public-private partnership (P3) agreements
Ms. Jackson uses her comprehensive background to understand how to influence and help clients navigate the issues and opportunities they face. Her leadership and experience includes:
- Serving as deputy chief of staff and director of the Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs where she was responsible for the regional, federal and local relationships for the mayor, as well as lobbying the Council of the District of Columbia and Congress.
- Serving as senior vice president for government affairs at the DC Chamber of Commerce, the largest business membership organization in the District of Columbia. As the chief lobbyist for the organization, she was responsible for crafting and executing legislative strategies and negotiating with the executive and legislative branches of government.
- Serving as committee counsel to Committee on Public Safety and the Judiciary Chairman Phil Mendelson
- Serving as executive director of the State Complaint Office of the District of Columbia Public Schools where she conducted investigations against local education agencies alleged to have violated the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. As a result, the District of Columbia Public Schools moved from noncompliance status to compliance status with the U.S. Department of Education.
- Serving as assistant corporation counsel in the Office of Corporation Counsel, where she represented the government of the District of Columbia in class action lawsuits. She also clerked for the Honorable Donald L. Ivers of the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and clerked for the Honorable Reggie B. Walton, formerly of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D.
- The City College of New York, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, D.C., Secretary
- D.C. Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- District of Columbia Bar, Steering Committee, D.C. Affairs, 2015-2018; Board of Governors, 2019
- Golden Triangle, Board of Directors
- Gay Men's Chorus of Washington, D.C., Board of Directors
- Leadership Greater Washington, Class of 2010
- Washington College of Law Dean's Diversity Council
- Quality Trust for Individuals with Disabilities, Board of Directors, 2010
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellows Program, 2018
- Holland & Knight Rising Star, Class of 2017
- Power 100, Washington Business Journal, 2016