Eddie A. Jauregui is a partner in Holland & Knight's Los Angeles office and a member of the firm's White Collar Defense and Investigations Team. A litigator and former federal prosecutor, Mr. Jauregui focuses on internal corporate investigations, corporate compliance and training, government enforcement, white collar criminal defense and complex business disputes.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Jauregui served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Los Angeles U.S. Attorney's Office, where he prosecuted high-profile fraud and public corruption cases. Notably, Mr. Jauregui was part of the trial team that tried and convicted former Los Angeles County Sheriff Leroy Baca and Undersheriff Paul Tanaka for obstruction of justice in connection with a federal civil rights investigation of the Los Angeles County jails. For his role in these landmark prosecutions, Mr. Jauregui received a California Lawyer of the Year Award in 2018 and a special recognition from the Los Angeles County Bar Association Criminal Justice Section.
As a Major Frauds prosecutor, Mr. Jauregui investigated and prosecuted complex financial crimes, including international money laundering, bank and wire fraud, investment advisor fraud, mortgage fraud, defense procurement fraud, import/export crimes, tax crimes and extortion by threat to reputation. He also handled parallel investigations involving the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the U.S. Department of Justice's (DOJ) Civil Fraud Division, and served for several years as the U.S. Attorney's Office's Procurement Fraud Coordinator. Mr. Jauregui was then promoted to Deputy Chief in the General Crimes Section, where he supervised and trained prosecutors handling a wide variety of federal criminal cases. While serving as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Mr. Jauregui worked on hundreds of matters, tried six jury trials, and briefed and argued multiple cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Before entering government service, Mr. Jauregui practiced law at two Am Law 100 firms in New York and Los Angeles, where he focused on internal investigations, compliance and white collar criminal defense. Mr. Jauregui represented his large corporate and individual clients in investigations brought by the DOJ's Antitrust Division, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control, the U.S. House of Representatives, the New York State Attorney General's Office and the Manhattan District Attorney's Office.
Mr. Jauregui is active in the legal community and has maintained a pro bono practice throughout his career. As an advocate for diversity in the legal profession, Mr. Jauregui has led diversity, recruiting and mentoring efforts for more than 10 years in both private practice and government service. He has developed programming aimed at building the pipeline of diverse attorneys and federal prosecutors and mentored numerous young lawyers throughout his career. His pro bono clients have included children seeking protections under the Special Immigrant Juvenile Status program, an individual fleeing anti-gay persecution abroad and an inmate in a federal civil rights lawsuit. Mr. Jauregui currently serves on the Diversity Committee for the firm's Los Angeles office.
Mr. Jauregui is a graduate of Columbia Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and recipient of the Valentin J.T. Wertheimer and Allen Morrow prizes. During law school, Mr. Jauregui served as an extern to then-Judge Sonia Sotomayor of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. Upon graduation, he served as a law clerk to the Hon. Jan E. DuBois of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained guilty verdicts against former Los Angeles County Sheriff Leroy Baca and former Undersheriff Paul Tanaka in separate month-long jury trials for conspiracy to obstruct justice, obstruction of justice and making false statements to the FBI
- Led multi-year, multi-agency investigation of international aluminum extruder and corporate officers for money laundering, import/export fraud and other crimes resulting in a 10-defendant indictment for a complex scheme exceeding $1.8 billion
- Prosecuted two threat-to-reputation Hobbs Act "sextortion" cases presenting complex legal questions; obtained convictions after jury trials in both cases and handled both cases on appeal
- Served as procurement fraud coordinator, overseeing intake of defense procurement fraud cases and other procurement cases brought by the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, Army Criminal Investigation Command, NASA Office of Inspector General, Federal Bureau of Investigation and other agencies
- Supervised and trained General Crimes prosecutors handling a wide range of felony cases during all stages of prosecution, including guilty pleas, suppression motions, jury trials, sentencings, appeals and probation violations
- Represented corporation and executive officer in criminal investigation and prosecution brought by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) in pharmaceuticals distribution case
- Provided consultation and advice on Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and anti-money laundering (AML) laws and regulations
- Represented a major multinational corporation in an antitrust investigation by the DOJ in one of the largest global antitrust matters in U.S. history
- Represented a global Fortune 50 corporation in an urgent, high-profile and ultimately public investigation stemming from a product defect
- Conducted a 40-plus country global compliance review on behalf of a multinational automotive firm
- Represented bank executives in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Columbia Law School, J.D.
- Harvard University Kennedy School of Government, M.P.P.
- Occidental College, B.A.
- New York
- American Bar Association, White Collar Crime Committee, Southern California Region, Program Co-Chair
- California Lawyers Association, Criminal Law Section, Executive Committee Member
- California Lawyers Association, Federal Courts Committee
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Los Angeles Chapter
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Nominee, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2021
- California Lawyer of the Year (CLAY) Award, Daily Journal, 2018
- Special Recognition Award, Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), 2018
- Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40, LGBT Bar Association, 2014